The Lector | Teen Ink

The Lector

November 15, 2010
By bluebird SILVER, Sandy Hook, Connecticut
bluebird SILVER, Sandy Hook, Connecticut
8 articles 0 photos 45 comments

The following Amen was my cue. I anxiously waited my turn as Pastor Cathy said the prayer slowly; but time sped up with my heart.I was first to lector that day and it was my first time so I had the right to be nervous. I am used to speak in front of people but with the word of Our Father and all those serious looking people staring up at me; it was very doubtful that I wouldn't mess up right in the middle or trip when I was walking up.

Then she said it. "Amen." The chorus of voices did not calm me and I had already began to walk up to the altar.

Bowing nervously and then turning; I made my way to the place I would speak; clutching my lines like a security blanket as if I was a child that needed to be comforted. But not now. I had to be brave.

I fixed the microphone on the desk to assure that my low height would be accounted for so my voice would be heard.

I slowly and clearly read the intro and soon enough; "A Reading from Isiah".

Then I said it; steadily and legibly. My tongue danced along my braces which created a slight orthodontic dialect. "The Word of The Lord." I finished.

"Thanks be to God." The churchgoers treated me fairly, like I wasn't the youngest Lector in the church. I walked away from the stand and awkwardly bowed in front of the alter and caught the eye of Pastor Cathy. I was honored with the 'thumbs-up' and was very pleased with what I had accomplished.

I smiled secretly as I made my way back to my seat. I was still keeping that thudding of my heart, and time slowed. My moment has ended along with my worries, as time flied with my heart.

The author's comments:
I felt new, almost grown up after that moment. I felt respected.