The Lector

The following Amen was my cue. I anxiously waited my turn as Pastor Cathy said the prayer slowly; but time sped up with my heart.I was first to lector that day and it was my first time so I had the right to be nervous. I am used to speak in front of people but with the word of Our Father and all those serious looking people staring up at me; it was very doubtful that I wouldn't mess up right in the middle or trip when I was walking up.

Then she said it. "Amen." The chorus of voices did not calm me and I had already began to walk up to the altar.

Bowing nervously and then turning; I made my way to the place I would speak; clutching my lines like a security blanket as if I was a child that needed to be comforted. But not now. I had to be brave.

I fixed the microphone on the desk to assure that my low height would be accounted for so my voice would be heard.

I slowly and clearly read the intro and soon enough; "A Reading from Isiah".

Then I said it; steadily and legibly. My tongue danced along my braces which created a slight orthodontic dialect. "The Word of The Lord." I finished.

"Thanks be to God." The churchgoers treated me fairly, like I wasn't the youngest Lector in the church. I walked away from the stand and awkwardly bowed in front of the alter and caught the eye of Pastor Cathy. I was honored with the 'thumbs-up' and was very pleased with what I had accomplished.

I smiled secretly as I made my way back to my seat. I was still keeping that thudding of my heart, and time slowed. My moment has ended along with my worries, as time flied with my heart.

creich said...
You really have a Pastor Cathy?

happysoul replied...
Dec. 3, 2010 at 2:50 pm :
 It's true, I do! (Rhyme!) She's super nice.

creich said...

I like the pastor's name.  How did you come up with the idea? 

Watch those semi-colons!!!

Good word choice and interesting imagery.

happysoul replied...
Dec. 2, 2010 at 7:21 pm :

The idea? This was a true story! I wrote it as a memoir!

Thank you, I worked hard in the real thing and writing it!

Love,

Noelle