Champion | Teen Ink

Champion

By puddlejumper SILVER, Averill Park, New York
puddlejumper SILVER, Averill Park, New York

I hear my heart pumping, and my trainer pats my leg and tells me to do my best. I am so excited because I’ve never competed in a real timed jumper show before. I had worked so hard to get to this point and now it was my time to shine. I knew I had one chance and one chance only so I intended to do the best I have ever done before. And I did.

I couldn’t wait since for the first time at a horse show I was jumping almost three feet! I just finished warming up and learning my course. There was a total of eleven jumps to remember in a specific order and in a specific route. If I did one thing wrong I would be disqualified. Before I knew it, it was my turn and I entered the ring. The judge signaled his buzzer and I picked up my canter. I started towards the first jump and started the clock the moment I passed over it. The next few jumps were easier, but when I glanced at the clock I noticed I had to speed up in order to make it near the optimum time. We galloped towards the next jump and I noticed it was an oxer. An oxer is two jumps very close together so it forms one very wide jump. I pushed my horse on and we cleared the last jump and stopped the clock with plenty of time to spare. I breathed a sigh of relief and then went back in to do two more courses. After that I put my horse back in the trailer and went back to watch the little kids ride. Then I heard my name and realized that I had just been announced as the champion of the jumpers! I was very excited especially since it was my first time! I have never been so proud.

I have had many proud moments with my horse and I, but I think this event is the best one yet! I still have my ribbon hanging on my wall with the saddle pad that I won along with it. The best part about the show was that I got to spend the whole day with my trainer. She always supports me and teaches me everything. Also, the show lasted two days. I showed the second day too and I ended up winning the reserve champion ribbon that day too! The show was big too, the organizer and course designer is a professional rider, so it made it even more special that I won this award.

proudest moment