My Grandfather | Teen Ink

My Grandfather

By annabonana BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
annabonana BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado

The hero in my life is my grandfather. He passed away when I was 4, so I didn’t really get to know him. As the years go on, I hear more and more stories. He was a great man, I already know. I just wish I could have gotten to know him more.

His name was Joseph, and he grew up with a pretty tough life. His mother and father both died when he was very young. Leaving him and his siblings with very little money. They were bounced around from home to home, all relatives, but still. Some were kind, some were not. As he grew up, he skipped out on college, and joined the army.

He fought for the U.S. against Germany, in World War II. For a certain amount of years, he was a P.O.W. which means a prisoner of war. Under Hitler’s armies, that was. From blown up planes, being a prisoner of war, being shot at in the head, and so much more, he actually survived. Then he finally got out of the army. He got started on his career, and began a family.

My grandfather became a very successful manager of J.C. Penney. The brand new store was located in Rockford, IL. He made enough to support 5 children, and a wife. One in boarding school, 4 whom attended private catholic schools. They also lived in a wealthy middle class suburb. I find this very impressive and honorable because, he came from barely anything and made almost everything for himself in the end.

The hero in my life is my grandfather. His name is Joseph. He passed away when I was four years old, due to cancer. I miss him dearly, and think about him everyday. This is dedicated to my hero, my grandpa.