Sunrise Sky | Teen Ink

Sunrise Sky

October 15, 2010
By MarigoldDream BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia
MarigoldDream BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Golden rays of first light whispered across the still dark, sapphire blue sky. Even as I watched, the playfully winking stars vanished one by one as the sun’s gentle morning rays transformed the night sky into a mirage of intertwining colors. At Jekyll Island, my friends and I rose very early to watch a magical sunrise.

As we walked along the worn, weathered boardwalk, down to the beach, I felt the peaceful, predawn atmosphere like a soft blanket calming my soul. I saw morning dew drops adorning emerald green leaves and ruby throated flowers, like diamonds. The chirping of crickets and the light of fireflies began to fade, like the decrescendo of night’s sweet melody. Reaching the shore, I heard the swish of creamy waves against beige white sand, smelled the tangy salt smell of the sea, and tasted the thrilling freshness of dawn.

With our faces turned toward the east, we watched as the sun peeked over the horizon. First just a golden glow, then a warm steady presence, and in a blink of an eye, the sun had sprung into the sky. Shedding its light on all, it colored the canvas-like sky with red, orange, yellow, pink, and purple paints, smearing them beautifully into a magnificent masterpiece. My friends and I gazed in silent wonder at the beautiful sunrise. It was a moment I will treasure forever.

The author's comments:
I wrote this piece a few years ago to capture the beauty of sky and ocean and sun. I will remember always.