Thanksgiving Turkey | Teen Ink

Thanksgiving Turkey

By whitkoapenglish PLATINUM, South Whitley, Indiana
whitkoapenglish PLATINUM, South Whitley, Indiana

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footsteps on the moon!"

“Ssssssss.” That was the noise that the turkey made as it plummeted into the boiling oil. Starting my Thanksgiving Day with my relatives as one big group at my grandma’s house was normal, but this one stuck out. Maybe because it was snowing out or it might have been because it was the first time we used our deep fryer.

They tell you to never put the deep fryer indoors because it could explode from the gas. We did not listen to them and put it inside the garage. We opened the back door so there would be an escape route for the gas. As you can tell the house did not blow up because I am writing this paper. While we were cooking the turkey, we sat in the garage and played euquer, solitaire, and any other card game you could possibly think of. It takes a long time to cook a twenty- four pound turkey. By the time we were done, all of our relatives arrived. After the turkey was done, we put in on the table and used the electric knife to cut it. One problem, it did not cut. When it comes to the kitchen, my dad is not the sharpest tool in the shed, so he forgot to put both knives in. After we put the other knife in, it cut much better. Then we lit the candle that we have in memory of Grandpa, said prayers, and dug into the turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, sweet potatoes, and, of course, rolls.

After we ate we watched an incredible movie, “The Incredibles.” Then we decided to have some fun so we went out in the snow and had a snowball fight. Since my cousin, Kyle, and I are roughly the same age and we are older than everybody else, we picked teams. The team thing did not work out since my little cousins only wanted to hit their brothers and sisters. Then we made it a free for all so you didn’t know who was hitting who. It was crazy. We eventually were freezing almost to the extent of hypothermia and decided to go back inside. When we went inside we watched the movie, “Bolt”.
After that, we played extreme football in the snow. It was extreme because it was tackle. The only problem about that is that we did not have our snow gear. We were freezing because the ice cold snow went in our shirts. Because we were jimmy-jacked, we had to utilize our moxy by heaving the pig skinned ball down the snow covered field. We worked up an appetite so then we went inside to eat supper. Eating delicious cold meat sandwiches, sour cream and onion chips, turkey sandwiches, and numerous deserts, we finally warmed ourselves up to go and have some more fun time in the snow.
After that we played more football and went home. Once we got home I sat down and thought that it was one of the best Thanksgivings that I have ever had. Stuffed and tired, I went to bed.