Personal Essay | Teen Ink

Personal Essay

By jasz231 BRONZE, St. Louis, Missouri
jasz231 BRONZE, St. Louis, Missouri

“What do you want to be when you grow up?” A question frequently directed to younger people, it’s usually responded to by a popular profession (doctor, lawyer, etc), an unreasonable career (such as a lion, a monkey, etc), or a simple “I don’t know.” Most people really start to think about there options in high school. Mostly because right after high school there’s college, where you actually take the classes you want in order to go into the career of your choice.
I began to think about my career path a little early. I don’t know the motive why I did but I think it’s because of how frequently the question was asked and I was annoyed of solely responding with “I don’t know”. Although there are numerous professions and careers one could take up, it seemed that everyone around me had one in the medical field including my mom. The only other job she has had was at a fast food restaurant, but since then she has held a CNA license and a new addition gives her the certification to pass out medicine to the elderly. She is planning to go back to school to get a LPN license as well. Along with her, I have two aunties and multiple cousins who work in the medical field. Most in which started with a CNA license too. I had a lot of influences to make my decision but at the same time my choice is one the suits me and that I enjoy. My choice was to climb my way through the medical field.

I guess one could say I have a minor infatuation with the career. My grandma told me when I was younger, throughout the ages of 2-6 (6 being the age I moved on to the dog), you could often catch me running around the house giving CPR (cardio-pulmonary resuscitation) to my dolls and also bandaging them up although they were made from plastic and did not need medical attention. As I grew older I began thinking more about jobs and careers I could take up and medical was all I could think of that fitted my interests.
I’m not freaked out blood, bare body organs, not even bodily (waste) fluids and for as long as I can remember I’ve always joked around telling people to let me operate on them. When a person was hurt and maybe merely needed first aide, attentively watching, I was always there. I also recall times when my mom, a CNA (certified nurse assistant), took me to a nursing home with her where my great, great grandma was living. I watched her change the bed sheets and take care of her bed sore. After the visit was over with I thought about it and figured I could handle and like a job with similar tasks such as working with the elderly in nursing homes.
When I was in the seventh grade, my little brother (4 years old at the time) and step brother (13 years old at the time) was on his way walking returning home from the park, I on the other hand (13 yrs old at the time), was just leaving home walking to the park since I had been left by the two boys. I like to think the incident that happened next was karma for leaving me. My step brother was walking through the grass (which was the only choice aside from walking in the street) when all of a sudden he fell into the ground. Now this was a little more than just a startle, but also an agonizing pain. He had fallen through a manhole camouflaged underneath grass. The manhole had a long, thick metal strip that plunged through the side of his lower limb. He used his body strength to pull himself out of the hole and level to the ground while my younger brother stood there in shock. That does seem like the normal response at that age to see blood gushing out and down your big brother’s leg along with the clear view of the inside of his leg. He took ten steps in order to make it to the corner. By that time, I was a block away and when I saw him I didn’t know what had happened right away, but he was saying that he was bleeding. When I ran up closer to see the damage, I immediately told my younger brother to ride his bike home fast and tell our parents to call for an ambulance. Still in shock he was really no help and just sat there on his bike. I took matters into my own hands and tried to get my step brother home. My younger brother finally started to snap out of it and made it home close to 15 seconds before us. Snag tooth and just difficult to understand anyway all he was saying was “ambulance!” repetitively. The parents didn’t quite understand the severity of the situation and laughed at his facial expression and his repetition until I approached the corner with my brother leaving a trail of blood. Then of course, 911 was called and while everyone else was losing it, I was the only one to keep my composure. My mom was ecstatic about her step-son bleeding to death, and my dad was just stuck in the moment (it seemed like) and questioning his parenting skills. I gathered from that day that I should have a career where blood is the usual standard to see on a daily basis. Oh yeah and my step brother had to get stitches, but his leg is healed now and back to normal.
I now attend a program called Health Sciences. By taking this class, I’m learning procedures, body parts, medical terms, medical abbreviations and overall gaining a great experience. Also, when I graduate from high school I have the opportunity to get a CNA license without going to another school which is a saving of time. After graduation, similar to my ground plan, I intend on going back to South Tech to receive a LPN (licensed practical nurse) license and continue to climb my way up to higher medical field titles such as brain surgeon. . .maybe not that far.

School assignment