Once I Believed... This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

When I was a small child, I was the type of kid that believed wholeheartedly in magic. I would often take refuge from the stress of the ‘real world’ up in my room or outside brandishing a wand (a twig), sporting a wizard’s robe (blanket), and carrying one of the fabulous Harry Potter books. With these combined with my eager imagination, I could delve deeply into the depths of the wizarding world and explore my fantasies to the heart’s content.

Sad though it may seem, I really did believe in magic. I wasn’t ashamed of it though, for I was confident that I would soon receive my envelope admitting me into Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. I would be whisked away, with the scent of adventure filling my nose, from all of my petty problems and cruel peers to a wonderful world where my wildest dreams would take the place of harsh reality.

So I waited. I waited, sometimes planning what I would do with my life once I was unveiled to be a wizard. I waited, barely daring to imagine the bliss I would feel when the owl would swoop in with a letter of parchment tied to its leg. And I waited, starting to worry that maybe I wasn’t a wizard after all. And I waited, with the looming possibility that there was no magic peering around my wishes and imaginations.

As you’re probably predicting, the inevitable happened. The year came and went when I was supposed to receive the invitation. With the disappearance of that letter came the disappearance of all of my hope. Filled with a bit of fresh apathy, I continued my life leaving behind that dead dream that had lifted me up and then dropped me.

And soon, the dream was forgotten.

But as I grew up in a world with no spells or quidditch, as I was raised without wand or flying broomstick, as I became accustomed to there being no dragons or unicorns, I realized something. Magic did exist. Maybe it didn’t appear in the form that I had pictured while reading the Harry Potter series, but it was definitely there.

It sometimes showed itself when I was listening to a symphony of beautiful music. It surprised me every time I looked outside at night and saw the great moon and myriad of stars. It comforted me in the form of loyal friends or caring family. It said hello as I witnessed moments of extreme kindness or affection and twinkled in my tears as I dwelled on them. It resided in places of remotest nature and utmost sacredness. Magic was joy. Magic was love. Magic was music. Magic was hope. Magic was God.

So I became content once again. True, I did not live as I had imagined since I was so very young and wistful for a world that I would never reach. But I had found the world as it truly is, and found it to be a hundred times more fulfilling. For magic is real, and magic is here.

leafyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 22, 2011 at 9:42 am
I'm with you on this one, I too, one believed that I would be getting a letter form Hogwarts, as nerdy as that seems...As for your piece, to my unsurprise, it is extraordinary.

Rayne said...
Nov. 25, 2011 at 12:34 am
You're a wizard of words, and God is defintely magic.

Aderes18 said...
Jul. 23, 2011 at 12:40 am

I LOVE HARRY POTTER TOO! 
I first started reaidng it when I was nine/ten. I love it, I feel like it's a part of my childhood. I still an't believed it ended. I haven't seen it yet.

When I read the last book the day after it came out(yes, I went to a midnight party) after I finished it I bauled like a baby. I cried for an hour.

And I think I'm going to cry after the last part ends too!

But I never believed that magic existed. Sometimes I would play it but ne... (more »)

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 23, 2011 at 11:07 am
I know what you mean when you said it's part of your childhood. The last book was especially important to me and has a large place in my heart to this day. My aunt refused to take me to the midnight party at Barnes and Noble because she thinks Harry Potter is against God!

Aderes18 replied...

Well, J.K Rowling is an athetist(interview on Oprah).

But who cares? It's a great story about the forces of good and evil and with magic...etc

Well, at the time I was into it, I went to Islamic School and I would never bring it in because I knew someone would take the book from me and yell at me saying it's witchcraft..etc. Actually, my friend brought it in one day and she got yelled at for 20 minutes so whenever she brought it, she would use a book cover to make it look like a ... (more »)

Really? I was almost certain she's a Christian...

It's ridiculous that so many religious fanatics can condemn Harry Potter for how evil it is, when they're totally misinformed about how 'anti-evil' it is. It has a lot of moral and spiritual themes, I thought when I read it.

You saw J. K. Rowling?!?!?!

Aderes18 replied...

I totally thought she was an Christian and I think people who see Harry Potter as evil are a bit misguided, to say the least.

Yep! She spoke at a Harvard Graduation and a customer of my mom's a professor at Harvard and he gave us tickets so I saw her speech. By the way, I live super-close to Harvard.It was wonderful. Unfortunately, I don't remember much because that was three years ago but I remember two things

1. She's very beautiful, with gorgeous blond hair and blue eyes.

... (more »)

Jul. 24, 2011 at 10:32 am

That sounds like an incredible experience. I don't know much about Rowling, only that she's my idol for creating the Harry Potter series. It's wonderful that you got to see her.

The only famous person I've actually seen is Morgan Freeman, which was pretty cool, though.

Aderes18 replied...

That's so cool! I myself am a big fan of Morgan Freeman                       (The Bucket List,                              The Dark Knight,Invictus...etc). He always plays in very good movies and he's a very good actor.... (more »)

I've seen those, and they were all pretty great. But I've liked him best in The Shawshenk Redemption. Also, in Deep Impact. He came to speak at our school about his film, Prom Night in Mississippi. Sadly enough, he didn't say anything, except for answering one or two questions. But I got to be within five feet of him, as he was leaving; and my friend said he looked her in the eye once. His expression seemed quite enlightened... :)

Aderes18 replied...

My parents LOVED                           The Shashenk Redemption but I've never seen it but I'll put it on my to-do list..

Never seen or heard those two but I'll watch them too! :)

Aww, that sucks. :(

But that's still cool though and you could still see him and get something out of it. It was actually kinda hard to see J.K Rowling. I w... (more »)

Aderes18 replied...
You got closer to Morgan Freeman than I ever could of J.K Rowling. :)

IamtheStargirl said...

This is so beautiful, and I can really relate to your experience. I too waited for my Hogwarts letter to arrive when I turned the magical age of eleven. And, I too, was crushed when it never arrived.

You are right about the everyday magic that people are sometimes blinded to by fantasy books or stories, but you forgot one more magic; that is magic of creation.

Thanks for writing this :)

I read your comments with an egotistical fervor and am (once again) grateful. Man, you're right. I did forget creation (and that's one of the big 'uns). Thanks for reading...

IamtheStargirl replied...
I really only remembered that one because I love to create, everything. I wrote "This is magic" on my special creations blog. So that's really the biggest reason as to why I was even able to point that one out.

Aderes18 replied...

Hey guys, 

have you seen the new Harry Potter movie? 

Aderes18 replied...
And stargirl, why did you change part of your username? Just noticed. 

IamtheshyStargirl replied...
Aug. 15, 2011 at 11:54 am
I don't feel that I'm as confident as my book counterpart.  

IamtheshyStargirl replied...
Aug. 15, 2011 at 11:55 am
Yeah, I saw the movie, much better than the first part. 

Aderes18 replied...

Well, you should be!(Just as confident as your book counterpart) because you are just as kind and sweet and witty as her! :)

You know, I want to hear Raven's and Izzy-Bard's ideas about the new Harry Potter movie so let me make a forum and then we can talk more!