Ripples This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

I stood quietly in the back of the school as she took quick snapshots of the scenery with an over-sized camera. This, she told me, was her new thing. She wanted to take pictures of everything so she could always have memories. She wanted to make everything immortal.

As I watched her run about the field, I allowed my mind to wander. I couldn't help but wonder if this new obsession with memories was due to Sabby’s recent passing. With that dark thought, I felt the all too familiar guilt rise from the pit of my stomach and grip my heart.

This wasn’t her first death. A winter before, her ex-boyfriend Bryan had died in a car crash and now Sabby was gone too. It was another late night car crash, and another ex-boyfriend gone. However, unlike last time, this time I was there for her. Trying to be a good friend and to understand a world that I was secretly happy I knew nothing about.

“Isn't that funny?” I heard her say and was ripped from my thoughts.

“Isn't what funny?”

“Weren't you listening to anything I just said?” she asked and pointed to the small, brown rabbit that was now halfway across the field. “That rabbit saw that I was taking pictures of it and stopped what it was doing just to stare at me. It was almost as if it was posing for me. Maybe it thinks it's a model or something.”

I nodded, not really caring about the rabbit or its possible future modeling career. Leah tilted her head to the side and made a strange face.

“What’s the matter?” she asked as she made her way to me, smiling, and I smiled too. I think both were forced.

“Nothing,” I ignored the strain in my face, even when she began to embrace me.

“What are you doing?”

“I’m hugging you.”

“I can see that, but why are you hugging me?”

“Because you're sad, and when people are sad you give them hugs.”

“Shouldn’t I be the one giving you a hug?”

“It doesn’t matter.”

We stood that way for a while, the rabbit still nibbling on a small piece of grass in the distance. Her camera, hanging on her neck on a strap, felt awkwardly pressed between us. It didn’t seem to bother her.

KERRYA12 said...
Such a great story.  I really liked your story.

avidreader said...
I loved your story!  I wanted to read more! Great topic.

Corywriter2 replied...
Great story! Funny and well written. look forward for more of your writings.

Corywriter2 replied...
I loved this story as well as "Square Pegs' and " Women..". You have talent my friend.  Keep writing.

2greatkids said...
What a beautifully story.  I loved it!!  Please write more!

kaeleighgirl said...
Loved the article - very insightful and poignant.  It touches on a subject that is not discussed very often, and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

KERRYA12 replied...
wow..what a touching story! Really good and such a good topic