Spontaneity: A Card Game and Anecdote

I have all the mind of narrating to you all an incident that took place about four years ago as I sat along with my father at the dining table with nothing to do, getting thoroughly bored. Now, just as key let me tell you that, when talking of playing cards, in most of the Indian languages; spade, hearts, diamonds and clubs changes to- Ispick, Badam, Chaukat and Kilver. For my story, the first one, Ispick is the most important. note that it is pronounced as- EE- spik- more or less like E- speak.
Now coming back to that day, four years back...

I sat at the dining table with nothing to do and my father was beside me, so invariably I asked him to speak or rather Ispick -( please do note the pun was deliberate!!!)

I continued to repeat like a parrot until he finally got cheesed of and said,"Keep quiet or else I'll give you a club on the head!", he said with a chuckle in his voice, proud of his spontaneity.

As if I was ever going to keep mum and said with a puppy dog face,"...Have a heart...!"

He said," ...well not unless you give me some Diamonds!!!"

That was the end of one of the most enjoyable and memorable card games I'll ever have..

Shadowrider said...
This was funny, and I can see why this would be a good memory. Good choice for something to write about. I liked it!

Samyukta replied...
Jun. 23, 2011 at 3:47 am

Thanks for the comment :)

Samyukta