Charleston

I wonder as I sit and write by the outdoor lights of surrounding houses. I wonder why Lloyd is spelled with two L’s and not one. It’s the same as wondering why Aaron is spelled with two A’s and not just one. The air here is humid and sticky. Just staying outside for a minute, even on the porch, make beads of sweat appear on my forehead. I can smell the salt and sand mixture from the nearby ocean and shore. The sound of crashing waves makes a rough harmony with the sound of passing cars. Only a few stars reside in the sky tonight, even thought the ebony sky is clear and cloudless. Outlines of trees and houses and other carious things surround me. Various bugs clatter and tweet to each other. They are unseen, hidden in plain sight by their friend; the navy night. Around me Charleston sounds its melody and is peaceful. In the morning, there will be a frenzy of tourists and beach-goers. But tonight, my Charleston is falling soundly asleep.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

AlexisB This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 22, 2010 at 10:09 am:
You captured her essence beautifully.