5th Grade | Teen Ink

5th Grade

There was a point in my life where there was no going back, no making any changes to my life, but that all changed in a blink of an eye. That time of my life was fifth grade. It was the year where I had ups and downs every day. I had many problems but many great moments too.

In fifth grade one of my problems was that I was fatter than all the kids in my class. The reason it was so bad was that I couldn’t live it down, yearbook pictures, kids bullying me, and the worst of all my self. I couldn’t get what was wrong with being fat just that it hurt my self esteem. I had no friends until I met a girl named Emily at the beginning of that school year. She made my life worth living for; I couldn’t wait for school the next day. During the weeks I spent with her I got closer and closer to her and I got my first girl friend.

My life was great I had more friends than I could ever wish. I finally had something to go home and said I had a good day at school to my dad or my mom. But three years before, my parents had divorced and my mom lived in Milton and my dad lived in South Burlington, and that’s the only reason I could keep going to South. The problems were that my mom moved about seven times before we actually got settled in a house which we’re living in right now. I made friends all over in St. Albans, Milton, and in South. But things just came back to haunt me in the middle of the year, kids made fun of me again, some of my closest friends wouldn’t talk to me any more. I never knew what was a real friend was.

I thought a real friend were people that stabbed you in the back, that never cared about your feelings. I had only one friend and that was myself, which wasn’t the coolest if you get my drift. I swung on the swings with nobody to talk to. I started to be depressed, but my favorite part of the day is when I could go to schools out. It was a place I could do things with no one body bothering me. No one to tell me if I was fat or too short or too tall, I was me. It was the best part of the day, I got to play different games and get my anger out in sports. It was the year that my worst and best ups and downs.

Now that I’m in my 8th grade I have an amazing life and girlfriend. In the beginning of 7th was when I got thinner, taller, and lots more friends. Now I have no worries about getting picked on because of my weight or my size. I got here because of me being me and that’s how I’m going to grow-up. I learned lessons on the way to being where I am today. One lesson that I learned is to keep my head when ever things get rocky.

its very personal and i didn't share it with most of my peers.

on Jun. 7 2010 at 2:18 pm
--LoveHappens--, Fairfield, Connecticut

"A friend is someone who knows you, but loves you anyway"

Wow I thought that this was very moving and touching. I'm so sorry you felt this way and I understand everyone goes through some rough times. I really enjoyed the beginning I thought it was great writing but you might want to revise the end a bit. There are also a few grammatical errors so go back and fix those. Other than that great job and I'm sorry. But I think it is great you used writing to get rid of all that stress. Please take a look at some of my work and leave a comment thanks so much!!!!