About Me | Teen Ink

About Me

By Dancer3 BRONZE, Williston, Vermont
Dancer3 BRONZE, Williston, Vermont

I have gone through quite a bit in my life time. Some good things, bad things, funny things, and sad things, but the thing that has really impacted my life is a bad and sad thing. I was a year old when my parents decided to divorce. I was young and so obviously I didn’t know the difference. When I was young it didn’t impact me at all. But now that I am older I realize how much different my life would be if my parents hadn’t gotten a divorce. I know it’s what’s best for them, but I just wish I could have experienced it more, and that I would remember now what it was like.

I didn’t get to see my dad often because he had to work a lot more than usual so I got to see him every other weekend and a couple days a week. And once again I didn’t really understand so it didn’t bother me. Until I was about four, when I started to miss the other parent and wanted to go to the other parent’s house. Which was hard for them to see me that way. When I started to get older I realized how hard it was to have to go back and forth to see your parents, you couldn’t just all be together, you had to choose, which was very difficult for me.

My dad had met this women Katie, who is now my step mom. They had been dating for a couple years and decided to get married a few weeks before my fifth birthday. I can’t remember if I really liked her, but my dad tells me that I never let her change my diaper, ever. I always wanted my dad to do it. My mom met a guy also. His name is Jim, who is now my step dad. They were dating since I was five and got married when I was seven. My dad said that I used to not like him and used to come home and say that I was happy I was home, but now I love him. He had two sons already one was five and the other three. I liked them a lot they were a lot of fun. And they were experiencing the same thing I was, our parents were divorced and they had a new step mom.

So then at age seven, both my parents have remarried and I’m liking it, and getting better. And then when I was also seven, my step mom got pregnant and I thought it was the greatest thing ever. And so did my mom when I was eight. Now that they have grown up, and there parents aren’t divorced, I’ve seen what its like to have your parents together and how it impacts a child’s life, and it makes me upset to know that I have never really experienced it.

My parents being divorced has really had an impact on my life. I have never, and will never experience the feeling of my parents being happily in love with me and each other. And what it’s like to just have one family. It sometimes really bothers me and sometimes it doesn’t bother me at all and I like being able to get away when times are tough. But what is done is done, and I do love my step mom and step dad so much, and I am happy that they are in my life.

I wrote this because I wanted to tell people about how my life changed.

Angeleyes12 SILVER, Hatfield, Pennsylvania
This is so true.