The lesson behind the game

We were in “enemy territory,” or so our coach called it. We were a team from Michigan playing against teams from all over Ohio. Down by four runs in the semi-final game with little time left before the game was over, coach tried to get us up again. “Are we going home?” he asked firmly. “No!” we shouted, getting ready for a good inning at bat. We started off with a good hit and things just kept getting better. We scored six runs in one inning to win the game and move on to the championship.
Pumped up from our last comeback win, we headed into the championship game ready to play and be victorious. We held them on defense and fired up our bats. We ended up on top, winning by ten runs. “That’s how we do it Michigan style,” shouted a girl on our team. We were champions!
I went home with a big trophy that day, but what was more important was the lesson I learned about teamwork, and if you play hard and love the game the score will take care of itself. It is a lesson worth far more than a trophy. Love the game and play with heart, that’s how you win the game of softball.