More Than a Friend | Teen Ink

More Than a Friend

By Caroline McDaniel BRONZE, Dallas, Texas
Caroline McDaniel BRONZE, Dallas, Texas

It was a normal Sunday, I had gone to church, had lunch with my family, and we were headed back home. As we passed my neighbors house, I told my mom that I wanted to go play with her. Margaret lived only a few houses down from me. I ran down to her house as fast as I could. “Ding Dong” I heard Margaret come running to the door. She opened the door, and I asked her if she wanted to play. She then pulled me through the front door and out through the backdoor and into the garage. As she opened the garage, I saw them - there they were. The two new electric scooters, I hopped on the red one and Margaret on the blue. We were quickly off. I rode quickly to the end of the street as I was turning around, I saw flashing lights and screaming sirens of an ambulance rushing down the street. Every time I hear an ambulance I have an instinct to pray.
I never would have thought that it would be a friend or even a brother. It was starting to get hot outside. Margaret and I decided we should head back to her house to get a snack and a drink. As soon as we walked in the back door, Mr. H, Margaret’s dad told me that my mom was on her way and that I should get ready to leave. Right when I sat down on the couch, I saw mom knocking on the window telling me to come on. She was crying, a lot. I asked while crying and breathing hard with tears running down my face, “What happened?” was it my grandfather, my grandmother, or my sister. She said in a gasping cry, “It’s it’s Lucas C.” I was crying before she even told me what had happen. I started going crazy. Why Lucas? Why him? I pulled myself into the car crying so hard that it was difficult to breathe. We drove to get my sister. She already heard the news. She was crying hysterically. Her face bright red, and the looks of sweat all down her face. We drove quickly to the Lucas’ family's house to see how they were. As we drove up to their front porch we couldn’t see their grass because there were so many people standing in their yard. Everyone crying together, learning together about how fast a life can go. Being together, with all the people we love really helped this hard ache easier to handle.
As the days go on without Lucas in our lives, we learn how much we really loved him. We remember how he treated others. I know, will strive everyday to act more and more like Lucas. He will never be forgotten.
Lucas C. November 9th, 1993 to August 12th, 2007
Lucas C. will never be forgotten