Your Eyes Are Glowing | Teen Ink

Your Eyes Are Glowing

May 4, 2010
By pasteluniverse BRONZE, Clinton Corners, New York
pasteluniverse BRONZE, Clinton Corners, New York
3 articles 33 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"All you need is love<3"


Dear Emma,

Every now and then you can close your eyes and still find your way. Remember to breathe, because you already know the answer to the questions you are looking for. See the things everyone else misses. Listen to your thoughts more often. Laugh until you cry. See things you’ve never noticed about people before. Stop worrying about your hair, your outer appearance, and physical traits and focus on your schoolwork. Do something new and different, you will be surprised. Let yourself enjoy a sunset. And most importantly, you don’t have sad eyes, your eyes are glowing.

You are fourteen, you pretend to know yourself fully. But this is not, by any means, an accusation. You are only a child, after all. Remember, you are beautiful. Beautiful like an undiscovered winter morning. I want to tell you to be the bird you’ve always wanted to become. Shake out your wings, let your hair go unruly, learn to fly. I also want to tell you that you’ll still be here when you read this letter. A new version of yourself, but it will still be you none-the-less. You’ll still be the free-spirit you always have been.

This year is the start of high school for you; a new and improved beginning. You need to focus all of your attention on getting your homework handed in on time and completed to the best of your ability. You know you can do it, I can see the determination already. It’s obvious you want to improve. I know you will be able to reach all of your goals you have set for yourself, no matter how high or out of reach they seem now.

Individualism is the key to what you are. Don’t ever be held captive in society’s chains, don’t be washed with fashionable rains. Be your own unique star that you have been all along. Live your life, and at times act a little bizarre. You have always been a bit different from everyone else. Embrace those differences and flaunt them with pride. You are you, and that’s more than good enough.

You are an artist; a warrior. Your pencil is your weapon and your paper is your training ground. Remember, your imagination is your greatest asset. With your weapon, you fight battles of a different kind. You bring to life that which is within you and try to make it the best it can possibly be. You are a writer.

Your friends are amazing human beings. They love you with all their heart and would do just about anything for you. They want to see you succeed in life, and try to help you get to where you want to be. They are always there for you and know when the time is right to be crazy and fun, or when the time calls for seriousness. Denise, Chandani, John, Ashleigh, Charlotte, Kate, Julia, and Andrew are you best friends. They always will be. They know you better than you sometimes know yourself. They understand your silly little quirks and praise you for them. They are the people you look to for advice on anything at all. No matter what, they will always be there for you.

Stay organized, keep track of all your papers, hand in homework assignments on time, and get some sleep once in a while. You are going to do fine this year and will grow mentally. You have the support system you need to get through anything. You know you will accomplish so many things, you never even thought possible until now. Remember, your eyes have always been glowing.