A Brown Christmas | Teen Ink

A Brown Christmas

April 30, 2010
By h h SILVER, H, Nebraska
h h SILVER, H, Nebraska
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I was looking forward to the sight of my familia. They were eight hours away and the anticipation was killing me. I would be traveling in a bus this time, but normally my mother, father, brother and I would travel all together in our car. This time it was just my brother and I going, while my mother was already in Texas awaiting our arrival with the rest of our familia.

My mother and father were born in Mexico. I am a first-generation born Mexican-American. I can say that growing up was pretty hard. The first challenge was learning this foreign language. You feel different and alienated due to this barrier. We are expected to learn the way of America. So not only do we have to be Mexican we also have to be American. It can be pretty hard at times. Being Mexican and American isn’t bad. We get to enjoy both cultures.

My favorite thing about being Mexican is that we have such a close familia. The thing I enjoy about my familia the most is our familia gatherings. This is when we all get together for a special event or just to get together to enjoy each other’s company.
A gathering I can remember that was impeccable was last Christmas. All my family came and we had a blast. The funny thing about us Mexicans is the fact that we have a large familia. The traditional food we eat like tamales, were unbelievable. The sight of the children playing, the smiles on everyone’s face would warm your heart. This night was a night to remember.


The author's comments:
Hope you enjoy it