America's City | Teen Ink

America's City

April 20, 2010
By Anonymous

My family trip to New York City was one of the most outstanding experiences of my life. It is definitely a memory that will stay with me for the rest of my life. We are in one of the most awe-inspiring cities of the world on a cool April day in New York City. As you look up into the city skyline, surrounding you are giant skyscrapers that seem like they are so high that they are poking up out of the atmosphere. Walking through the streets of New York City isn't a very peaceful walk because of the constant beeping of the bright yellow taxis that seem to be engulfing the streets. Even with all of these noises, the scenery of the city seems to make you forget about the hustle and bustle of city life and just reflect on the outstanding architecture and history that is hidden throughout the buildings. Walking through NYC at night is like walking through a Christmas light fanatic's house with the giant, colorful, illuminated billboards and advertisements all around you. I will never forget the time that I first got the chance to walk through the most luminescent part of NYC which was dubbed Time Square. The amount of lights that are in sight when you turn the corner into this fabulous place is almost dizzying. Time Square is only a small part of what NYC has to offer.




There is also the chance to view the most famous symbol of the U.S., The Statue of Liberty. You don't realize how enormous this structure is until you see it with your own eyes. Unfortunately, we were not able to go to the top of the statue because of the tragedy of 9/11. Even though we were not able to experience the statue to its full extent, it was still an amazing opportunity. We were also able to get the chance to go to the top of the Empire State building. It was such an awesome experience that I almost can't describe it in words. When you finally get to the top floor, you notice that the wind is much stronger than down at the street level and it is much colder because of the high elevation. But once you step out onto the deck where you can see all of Manhattan from one point, it is worth the uncomforted feeling of being cold because you suddenly get the feeling that you, and only you are on top of the world. We also made the trip to the American Girl Doll Store, which was not one of my favorite parts of the trip but it wasn't too bad. My sister, on the other hand, felt like she was in heaven with every kind of imaginable doll with there corresponding accessories just begging her to bring them home with her. It seemed like it had taken my parents an eternity to say those words that were like music to my ears, "OK its time to go now." It almost brought my sister to tears when we had to leave while I was practically already out the door in a matter of seconds. We were all sad when the count down of the number of days left on the trip hit zero, but we knew that it would be nice to finally get home and sleep in our own beds too. The trip to NYC will always be in the back of my mind as one of the best family vacations I have ever had, but I also cant wait to go back again because the memories that you make in this beautiful city never get old.