Snicker Doodles | Teen Ink

Snicker Doodles

April 4, 2010
By write.forever BRONZE, Becket, Massachusetts
write.forever BRONZE, Becket, Massachusetts
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

When I think about Mrs. Wagner, I think about how much she was like my second grandmother. Mrs. Wagner lived with her son Rick down in Springfield on Endecott Street. She lived there for as long as I could remember. My family first met her when we went to a church. She was the first person I remember from that church.


Her house was small and her kitchen even smaller but that did not stop Mrs. Wagner from making her snicker doodles. I loved going to her house and sitting down and talking to her about anything even though her oxygen tank made a noise every 5 seconds. I did not care.


One day my mom took me and my sister to visit Mrs. Wagner in the hospital. She was sick but getting better. Once she was back on her own two feet she was of course baking snicker doodles in her small kitchen and inviting my family over.


Mrs. Wagner was always there for my family. When my mom needed some where to go for when she had a test since she was still getting her teacher’s degree me and my sister went with my mom just so we could see Mrs. Wagner. It was during softball season so I made my sister throw a ball to me since I was starting catcher. One time my sister threw the ball to high and it hit the telephone wires and fried the ball on them. We were laughing so much that we did not realize the ball rolling down the hill.


My family found out that Mrs. Wagner had to go to the hospital early one morning. She was sick and kept growing ill. Mrs. Wagner passed away on September 4th. Rick sent my family an email the day she passed away, but we did not get it until a week later.


I remember my family crying together, but I could not cry right away. I only stared at the computer in shock and read the e-mail over and over and over again. I remember exactly what it said. It said, “Margie died September 4th. She loved you all.” After I read this, many times the tears just started pouring down my face. I kept crying on and off about her passing away. It was as if someone drilled a hole in my heart and I could not fill the hole.


I cannot go a day without thinking about her. I always have the cross she gave me with me wherever I go. I will miss her a lot and I wish she were still here with me. I know she is looking down on me with a big smile on her face because I am filling that hole with happy thoughts that she caused me to have. I know she will always be in my heart and care about me. I love her and I miss her a lot.


Rick gave my sister Mrs. Wagner’s snicker doodle recipe but when my sister cooked them they just were not the same. My favorite cookie is and always will be the snicker doodle.