my question for you

By , Temecula, CA
“Okay, it’s your turn, ask a question,” I told him.
“I just did!” He exclaimed with a laugh, “you have to ask me now!”
This was our typical little game that we played every time he called me: taking turns asking and answering questions back and forth. Recently, I was kind of surprised he was still calling.

I’d never had anyone care about me for this long. I wasn’t so sure that he even still cared.

During the past week or so, he’d been acting funny. Everyone said it was just my imagination, but I was so certain it wasn’t. He was just acting for them, just putting on a show.

As he spoke to me, laughed and teased, I thought how much I would miss this when he finally changed his mind and his feelings about me. I loved his voice and his laughter and I knew it would be gone from me very soon.

My eyes started to burn as tears welled up behind my eyelids.

“Hello?” His voice carried over the cell phone’s receiver.

“Hi…” I muttered, clearing the sob out of my throat.

“Where’d you go?” He asked with a short laugh.

“Nowhere. I was just thinking of what to ask you…” I lied.

“Well hurry up,” he teased.

It was as if I could hear him smiling through the phone.

“Okay…” I breathed, “Here it is:”

“Finally,” he laughed.

“You know how we usually ask the silly, pointless questions? You know how they never mean anything? You know how I never ask you the important stuff? The stuff I want to know, that I want you to hear?

“I never ask what really confuses me, like the way you look so amazing with your hair a mess, or the way you can be a total jerk but it doesn’t even phase me, the way you talk too much but your voice makes me crazy. I never ask how you can go from being totally insane to being sweet and serious. I never ask how you make me spend every class counting down the seconds until I get to see you. I never ask how you make my heart race and send shivers down my spine. I never ask how you’ve done this to me. I never ask how you made me fall in love with you.”

mellystone This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

this made me cry a little. only really good writing can make me cry.

bravo.

annmus replied...
thanks! i appreciate it!