Running to Each Other | Teen Ink

Running to Each Other

In gym during dodge ball one day, someone bombed a ball at my eye, and I started to tear up. My friends Kaylene, Rachel,
Leanne, Jessica, Paige, and Tricia all gathered around me.

“Are you okay? Do you need to go to the nurse?”

Every time someone hits my eyes hard, they start to puff up.

I assured them, “No I’ll be fine.”

But the fact they came and asked illustrates what kind of friends they are: true friends who stick around no matter what trials I’m facing.

I might struggle with homework like math, and Kaylene will come sit by me and tell me if I’m doing it right. If I’m not she’ll show me how to do it.

Sometimes friends have trouble telling the truth but not mine. One day, for example, Tricia had her hair in a half pony and she asked, “How does it look?”

I made a funny face and answered, “Trish, you might want to take it out and leave it down!”

We share secrets with each other to. We reveal who we like and why, which I can’t elaborate on here.

In addition, we wear each other’s jewelry. You’ll see us sporting each other’s rings and necklaces. Recently I borrowed a pink stoned rectangular ring and a blue stoned ring.

But like all humans, we get mad at each other and complain, “I hate you. I never want to see you again!”

But later, we make up, “Hey, will you call me later?” Or, we will approach one another and admit our mistake: “Sorry.”

Having friends like mine makes the days better and brighter. I want to come to school, no matter what, to see them. If something unfortunate occurs- - I know they’ll run to me, and I’ll run to them.

I know i could always count on these friends