The Horrible, Aweful, and Glorious Past | Teen Ink

The Horrible, Aweful, and Glorious Past

February 16, 2010
By Brooke McIntire BRONZE, Decatur, Illinois
Brooke McIntire BRONZE, Decatur, Illinois
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I always wanted to know things about my family's past. As long as I could remember, my parents had never shared the feelings that are supposed to go along with a marriage, and I was determinded to find out why. The event that triggered all these questions to finally reveal themselves happened to be the day I was informed that my parents were getting divoriced. After nine years of unhealthy marriage, my dad had finally moved out on christmas day of 2005. My paper, however, is not going to cover the specifics of this particular day. Instead, it will highlight my parents years together before I was brought into the picture.
It started as a friendly boss-to-employee type of relationship. My mother was the manager at Hardee's while my father, nearly ten years younger and fresh out of highschool, worked as the burger boy. At the time that they met, my mom was invloved in an abusive marriage with a very mean-hearted man. She and my dad became close and eventually fell in love.
Not all was well, however. Things were heading downhill, and fast. My mother's marriage was coming to a close, and her and my father's relationship was going a bit too quickly. In all the confusion, some feelings were hurt, not to mention the hearts that were broken. After the divorce, my parent's relationship ended for a short period of time. In that time frame, however, my mom recieved the news that she was pregnant with me.
Even though their love had completely run out, they decided to sacrafice a lot for my sake. They got back together, and a few years after my birth, they decided to get married.
These events all helped shape who I am today; and who I want to be. I never blamed either of them for anything in reguards to this. In fact, I praise them for doing such a brave thing. They stuck it out as long as they could - all just for me. It shows me how much they truly love me. I am so greatful for both of them.
Sometimes I get upset when I think of their story. It just gets to me in a way that nothing else does. The things that my parents went through for their daughter is just incredible. They are my inspiration to be the best I can be for others, and when I become a mother, they will be my inspiration to show my children what they have shown me in my life. I love my mom and dad with all my heart.