A Smile | Teen Ink

A Smile

I stood there, stupidly in the front of the net, waiting for my fate. Black and magenta converse sneakers, a school logo t-shirt, and short shorts, showing off my long legs, you could say I looked pitiful. I watched the yellow ball behind hit back and forth, back and forth, like a balloon on a very windy day. Then I watched the ball soar helplessly towards me, I got ready, eyeing the ball carefully, and swung, missing the ball just a slight inch, and scoring a point for the opposing team. I could see my team’s faces, some of the girls, but mostly the boys who are so into winning the game so they could gloat other people’s faces, sneering at me in anger. I felt like crying, but what was the point? I wasn’t an expert at P.E. and I don’t think I ever will. The opposing team hit the ball over the net, and into the “out” zone, so our team moved around into our next places, while a new victim was up to hit the ball. I walked over one space, and looked up, to see a boy I remembered. I thought for a moment remembering when he was in one of my classes the year before, and how I liked to talk to him and hang out and how he had a cute nerdy look to him, which I liked. I looked up again to see a slight smile come across his face, and then fade as every so quickly as it had become. I was so surprised, and very much delighted to see that he recognized me. My heart fluttered with a hope and happiness that completely lightened up my dreary mood. I returned a smile quickly, and began to focus of the yellow ball once more.

Just a small memoir on one day I was playing volly ball in P.E. and a guy completly brightened up my day with one smile. :D