Twentieth Anniversary of Berlin Wall | Teen Ink

Twentieth Anniversary of Berlin Wall

January 11, 2010
By EmmaReynolds SILVER, Delafield, Wisconsin
EmmaReynolds SILVER, Delafield, Wisconsin
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The city of Berlin celebrated the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin wall on November 9, 2009. The celebration was marked with symbolism, fireworks and concerts, as world leaders joined tens of thousands of people who attended this historical event.
The fall of the Berlin Wall was one of the most monumental displays of freedom the world has ever seen.

The Berlin Wall was knocked down on November 9, 1989, allowing freedom to pass between East and West Germany, something that Germany hadn’t experienced since Hitler’s reign.


During the decades the wall stood, 136 people were killed trying to escape across the border. The Wall represented the different lifestyles and beliefs between communist East and democratic West.
The “Iron Curtain,” as it is also referred to, was built in 1961. The total length of the Berlin Wall was 96 miles, and it stood about 12 feet tall.
"This wall divided not only a single country but, as we realize today, all of Europe," said Russian President Dmitry Medvedev, according to the New York Times.
Both former and current world leaders made an appearance at this celebration. Those leaders include former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Germany’s first chancellor Angela Merkel, German President Horst Koehler, among others. President Barack Obama couldn’t attend the celebration, but appeared in a video message to the people.

"Let us never forget Nov. 9, 1989, nor the sacrifices that made it possible," Obama said on his video message as people erupted into applause and cheers.

All information taken from the New York Times.