Change | Teen Ink

Change

December 17, 2009
By Anonymous

I was the only one that didn’t know. My family was hiding something for me, but I didn’t know what it was. Today was like any other day. We had Math, English, Science, Social Studies, Gym, lunch, and my favorite recess. I heard the bell ring telling us it was time to go home. I jumped to my locker, grabbed my books and headed to the bus. When I went home my mom was cooking. She told me that tonight we were going to have a family meeting. It was strange; it felt like my mom was hiding something from me and my brother, something important. I answered, “Yes mom” and dash to my room. I finished my homework and quickly rushed downstairs. When I scurry downstairs I heard my dad arriving home from work. As usual I ran to hug him. He whispered me the words, “Family meeting tonight.” I wondered why he told me the same thing that my mom did. Was it important? Was it just to tell me that I need to clean my room? I thought about it numerously.

Now it was dinner time. Mom made meatloaf, mashed potatoes, green beans, and my favorite dessert, blueberry pie. It was vastly strange that mom made my favorite dessert. When we finished eating, my mom and dad told us to come into the family room. I knew what was going to happen: Family meeting. My dad starting off saying, “I made quality manager of P & G.” My mom as usual gave him a big hug and a kiss. I told him “Finish the rest of the story please.” Then he finishes the story saying the three words I hate to hear, “We are moving.” After that the earth stood still. I quickly ran up stairs knowing what was going to happen next. My brother and I had waterworks when we fell to sleep in tears.

The next morning, I was mute. I didn’t talk to anyone at school, not even the teacher when she gave me a buzz to say the answer. When my friends asked me what was wrong, I couldn’t dare tell them what my dad had told me thus I quickly just bleated “Nothing wrong, just tired.” I wouldn’t know the right time to tell them. I thought about it for a minute and realized I had to man up, so I said the exact words my dad had told me, the three words that would change my life forever. “I am moving.” The earth stood still just like when my dad told my family.

For the last two weeks, I packed and said goodbye to my friends. They weren’t that mad, they were just sad. Today was the day I was moving. I practically lugged myself to the car. I sobbed, “Goodbye home you are the very best.” That drive felt like the drive to no return.
When we attain to our new house it was a lot bigger then my old house. I had my own room, and even my own bathroom! I think this was the only good part about moving. I quickly unpacked and explored more around the house. We have 5 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms. When my mom was placing away stuff in the kitchen, I asked her “When does school start?” She told me that school started next week. I was excited; I was also nervous. I kept asking myself the same questions, “Am I going to make new friends?”
Today was the first day of my new school. I remember the first day of my old school. How nervous I was. I remembered when I walked into the classroom and everybody staring at me like I was a statue, but all the people that were staring at me were the people that became my best friends. So if my first day of my new school, was any like the first day of my old school I knew that I will just do fine. When I walk in the classroom, the teacher asked me who I was. I told her, “Hello my name is Jimmy Smith, I am the new student.” She rapidly introduces me to all of my classmates. Everyone seemed nice; judge I was the judge of that. I could hear the students saying, “Who is that new kid and why is he hear?” After my classes it was time for lunch. I sat by myself. I was very nervous to sit with other kids.

While I was eating lunch I saw all the other kids in my classroom eating with each other. I was too nervous to sit with them. I was very sad because I had not made any friends. I gradually cried.

When I was done crying, I finished the ham sandwich. The ham sandwich was the closet friend I had at my new school. When I was waiting for recess, I saw a little girl that came up to me and asked if she could sit with me. I giggled “Yes.” She was very nice and told me all about the school. I was happy because I had just made a new friend.

In the previous years, we slowly became closer and even till this day, we are still best friends. If it wasn’t for my dad I wouldn’t have made my best friend.