What I'll never forget | Teen Ink

What I'll never forget

December 9, 2009
By NinjaNina BRONZE, Dulles, Virginia
NinjaNina BRONZE, Dulles, Virginia
4 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver. Now which is more valuable?


I've moved from country to country for my whole life. Yes, I've lived in Africa. Yes, I've lived in Europe. I probably, at thirteen years of age, have more stamps in my passport than some adults I know. It's definitely completely different than the life most of my peers in the U.S. (I don't live there). For example, take getting good grades. I don't know how it is in the U.S., but when I lived in Europe, I went out for a fancy meal with my parents, every time I got a good report card.
This one time, right after I had gotten my report, my parents took me to a nice restaurant right near our apartment. I had dressed up, and I had, for the whole meal, put my elbows on the table once. I used all the right forks, everything. I was trying to be European. Once we were finished with our meal, and going out of the restaurant, I saw a European boy, slouched on his chair, eating his delicious pomme-frites with his hands, and , horror of all horrors, with ketchup. This is completely out of line with the whole vibe of European dining, for your information. And, to top it all off, he was playing his PSP at the table. I thought it was funny, an American girl trying to be European, and a European boy, trying to be American. I'll never forget the culture shock.


The author's comments:
This really happened, and I'm sure everyone will get a laugh out of it, like I did.