Memoirs of an Incurable Daddy’s Girl | Teen Ink

Memoirs of an Incurable Daddy’s Girl

October 13, 2009
By Anonymous

He was my hero. When I closed my eyes and thought about those who saved the day. I did see Superman. I saw him, every time. He had a strength that could make me feel safe. I knew he would never hurt me, yell at me, or leash out at me.

He was my ever present protector.

When he held me there as a power in his arms that was uncontrollable and destructive but also loving and gentle.

He was always there when I needed him.

When I had nightmares he was there is chase away the demons. When I was in pain he was there to sooth it away. When I was alone he was my company. He was everything to me but most of all, He was my Daddy.

But things change.

He left; he just disappeared from my sight. No, I watched him leave. He is still around, I see him still but it’s not the same.

Now when I closed my eyes and try to imagine a hero, I don’t see him. I see nothing. I now fear his strength because I don’t know it anymore. I don’t know if it will hurt me or leash out at me.

Now when he holds me there isn’t power, there seems to be hesitation. I no longer feel safe in his arms.

He isn’t there like he used to be.

Now when I have nightmares I just lay in the dark and try to fight the demons myself, but I am no match for them. When I am in pain I have no choice by to drive through the agony. When I am lonely I have no company.

I use to be his everything too but now I don’t know what I am to him.

My Daddy left, no, my Daddy died. But I still see him, almost every Thursday. Only, I don’t see, hug, and say ‘I love you’ to my Daddy.

He is just my Father.

The author's comments:
I was inspired to write this because my parents split up and I hardly ever see my father anymore.