Forever The Middle Child

I picked up the slack from my older sister. I looked after my younger brother. I was between them. I was a mixture of whatever they were. I did not have my own personality. I was what was left when my brother and sister were done.

My sister was strong, independent, and beautiful. She could start a fight and win it. She spoke what was on her mind. She controlled everything.

My brother was smart. He won many awards for academic purposes. People loved him. My mother and father loved him most because he was the boy they wanted.

What am I? I am smart but not as smart as my brother. I am not able to speak my mind. I am usually quiet. I cannot tell anyone how I feel. I am afraid. I am not wanted anywhere. I feel out of place, even at home.

I have a personality that is mixed between them both. I am never associated by myself. I am always a sister. I am never my own person.

I am always the middle. Never a beginning, never an ending. I follow my sister. I care for my brother. I am a follower of them both. I am a comparison to them both.

“Why can you be as smart as ___________?”

“Why can’t you act like ___________?”

“Why am I not ______________?”

I am never myself. I am always them.

I am forever the middle child.

natalie_is_my_name said...
i feel you.im a middle child too and im always ignored

bluegrl95 said...
i am the in the middle too and feel the exact same way you do.

guzpacho said...
Nov. 25, 2009 at 9:01 am
i feel ya im a middle child of four. how? you ask well i have an older sister a younger brother and ny other brother is not all there!!! yah

penguin35 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aw, I sure am glad I'm not a middle child. It stinks to be in the middle. Good article :)