We Are Proud | Teen Ink

We Are Proud

October 24, 2009
By lifeneedskelsy BRONZE, Chalmette, Louisiana
lifeneedskelsy BRONZE, Chalmette, Louisiana
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away."


In a world with over six billion people, there’s one small community—a parish, that means the world to me. August 29th 2005 caused a big uproar for this little parish and almost wiped us off the map. Almost.


St. Bernard Parish is in Southern Louisiana, just a few miles away from the craziness of New Orleans. We’re a small parish, and sometimes we’re forgotten, but that’s alright with us.

For anyone who’s just passing through, they may see us only for our rough exterior, our gutted homes, or some of our people that tend to flaunt what they have—or don’t have. I’ll bet, though, that if that person takes a wrong turn and gets a little lost, that the shirtless man will send them on their way, in the right direction.

I could say we are this perfect place, that all of the children here go to college and wind up with fabulous job. That isn’t the case with us, though. The vast majority grows up, finishes high school, and works hard for just enough to live. Many of us don’t ever leave here; we just stay all our lives, and raise our children to grow up and follow the same path. We don’t see any flaw in that. Any outsider could look at us and say, we’re not intelligent because we work hard to get a pay check, and we party when times are hard, rather than grieve. Maybe, they’re right, that we aren’t perfect, and we tend to be a little crazy, but I think that’s alright. I’m sure everyone else here does too.

We are broken, but we come together and we will be fixed. I suppose that’s what I like the most about my community; we know who we are, and we are not ashamed. We are proud.


The author's comments:
This piece was originally an essay portion for test we took in my English class. My English teacher recommended I submit it to Teen Ink.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 65 comments.


on Oct. 26 2012 at 2:06 pm
EPluribusUnum DIAMOND, Woodbine, Maryland
59 articles 24 photos 280 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead;
I lift my lids and all is born again.
(I think I made you up inside my head)."
-Sylvia Plath

You should be proud! There is nothing wrong with hard work and living differenly from the majority. This is absolutely beautiful. :)

Mafu-chan said...
on Jul. 30 2012 at 12:21 pm
Mafu-chan, Lafayette, Louisiana
0 articles 7 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
Some say human are nothing but action and reactive but I say they are heart and soul ~Mollee H.

beautiful! Louisiana is where i am from and i am proud of it! we all should be proud of where we come from and this article shows that! very good job!

sambo SILVER said...
on Jul. 8 2012 at 5:44 pm
sambo SILVER, South Burlington, Vermont
7 articles 0 photos 8 comments
So well written!  You definitely should be proud.

on May. 25 2012 at 9:04 pm
_ella_herondale BRONZE, San Diego, California
4 articles 2 photos 222 comments

Favorite Quote:
"...If the Thames that ran beside them...recalled a night where the moon shone as brightly as a shilling on the same boy and girl... and thought to themselves, 'at last, the wheel comes full circle,' they kept their silence."

Lovee it(: Nice Job!

on May. 25 2012 at 4:56 pm
tinytechie SILVER, 34 Ridgewood St., Connecticut
7 articles 0 photos 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I've been singing since I was born" - Idina Menzel

wow. i love my hometown in ct, but this is so beautiful. my community is really privivleged and sometimes it disguests me. times my be hard sometimes for you guys, but yu are lucky to be able to appreciate what you have, unlike some of the snobs where i live.

embraii BRONZE said...
on May. 25 2012 at 12:46 pm
embraii BRONZE, My World, Louisiana
3 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
i ignored your aura, but it grabbed me by the hand. like the moon pulled the tide, and the tide pulled the sand.

I am from Lousiana! It is my home and its the most amazing place in the world to me<3

on May. 3 2012 at 7:04 am
Padfoot507 PLATINUM, Omaha, Nebraska
23 articles 2 photos 138 comments

Favorite Quote:
“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.”
-Albus Dumbledore

"I'm just a little bit caught in the middle,
Life is a maze, and love is a ridde."
-Lenka

a parish is a relgious commuinty (or another word for a church, in a way).

 

~Great story, it grabbed my attention instantly :) don't stop writing!


on Apr. 11 2012 at 8:20 pm
Karles_Ivy PLATINUM, Sunnyside, Washington
23 articles 0 photos 62 comments

Favorite Quote:
Sometimes the bully isn’t the captain of the cheerleaders or the girl who for some reason has it out for only you; sometimes the worst bully of them all is you.- Karles_Ivy

This is amazing. Like ColleteF said, it's like stumbling into another world. You provide enough details and info to let us see your proud world. I absolutely love it.! Now, I hate to sound incredibly stupid online, but what's a parish.?

ColetteF said...
on Mar. 20 2012 at 9:43 pm
Reading this is like stumbling into another world, not perfect, but somewhere where one can be themselves. You've created a strong image with your words :)

on Feb. 27 2012 at 10:38 am
AimeeRichae SILVER, Acworth, Georgia
9 articles 0 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If life hands me lemons, you better believe I'll be making the best dang lemonade ever!"

I really like this a lot. it reminds me of home. Im from Houma and this brought back lots of memories from the place i miss. Keep Writing!

-Duckie- GOLD said...
on Oct. 13 2011 at 5:03 pm
-Duckie- GOLD, West Fargo, North Dakota
18 articles 0 photos 127 comments

Favorite Quote:
Your heart is a weapon the size of your fist. Keep fighting. Keep loving.
-Anonymous

This is a great piece- it's insightful, and quirky! You have great voice... I hope this gets put in the mag.

on Sep. 4 2011 at 11:27 am
katieheiserman SILVER, New York, New York
6 articles 14 photos 6 comments
I really liked this piece, it gives a lot of insight into your community, and more generally, a way that some people choose to live.  Great job :)

on Feb. 18 2011 at 12:09 pm
Carebear123 SILVER, Bronx, New York
6 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Its easier to forget then to remember

You are so right. After I read this memoir and read your comment it made me think of my dad

on Oct. 25 2010 at 6:41 pm
greatexpectant BRONZE, Matthews, North Carolina
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment
This was amazing. Lately I have been thinking about how our culture is pushing the next generation to go to college and be successful and earn money to be truely happy, but it's not all about the paycheck and how successful you are. That's not the key to happiness. It's about the family, who you're with and what life you're happy with living, and this is a perfect example of this. Keep writing!

on Mar. 25 2010 at 10:23 am
effortlesslove BRONZE, Westminster, Maryland
3 articles 0 photos 53 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A friend is someone who can sing the song in your heart when you have forgotten the words"i

really interesting Good writing piece.

Ms. G said...
on Jan. 12 2010 at 1:36 pm
She definitely is!

booklover said...
on Jan. 9 2010 at 7:20 pm
it made me feel proud of my crazy family even when people look at us and say wow they're nuts..i really loved reading this and yo're a really good writer don't ever forget it.!!and always be proud.!

gman said...
on Dec. 26 2009 at 9:46 pm
this is awesome. you have some really good writing skills. your english teacher must be proud.

on Dec. 7 2009 at 5:00 pm
forgottenpenname GOLD, Troy, Michigan
12 articles 0 photos 147 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Carpe diem."

Really good! It's sweet and humbling... I would love to live in a place that isn't so full of people bent on being just like everybody else. I love this! :)

on Nov. 18 2009 at 4:36 pm
KiNABABE SILVER, Lakewood, New Jersey
7 articles 0 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
"WHATS MEANT T0 BE WiLL ALWAYS FiND iTS WAY"

Great Work :)