We Are Proud This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

In a world with over six billion people, there’s one small community—a parish, that means the world to me. August 29th 2005 caused a big uproar for this little parish and almost wiped us off the map. Almost.

St. Bernard Parish is in Southern Louisiana, just a few miles away from the craziness of New Orleans. We’re a small parish, and sometimes we’re forgotten, but that’s alright with us.

For anyone who’s just passing through, they may see us only for our rough exterior, our gutted homes, or some of our people that tend to flaunt what they have—or don’t have. I’ll bet, though, that if that person takes a wrong turn and gets a little lost, that the shirtless man will send them on their way, in the right direction.

I could say we are this perfect place, that all of the children here go to college and wind up with fabulous job. That isn’t the case with us, though. The vast majority grows up, finishes high school, and works hard for just enough to live. Many of us don’t ever leave here; we just stay all our lives, and raise our children to grow up and follow the same path. We don’t see any flaw in that. Any outsider could look at us and say, we’re not intelligent because we work hard to get a pay check, and we party when times are hard, rather than grieve. Maybe, they’re right, that we aren’t perfect, and we tend to be a little crazy, but I think that’s alright. I’m sure everyone else here does too.

We are broken, but we come together and we will be fixed. I suppose that’s what I like the most about my community; we know who we are, and we are not ashamed. We are proud.

lohrbell said...
Great job Kelsy. Keep writing about the parish you love so much ... someone should and you have the perfect voice to do it! I'm so proud!!

heartsday said...
That was really good. I liked hearing about your town.

Can.Wick. said...
I knew how amazing you could create a story and write it down, but an essay is much harder to bring creativity to. I think that this is one of the most amazing essays that I've seen written about a community. I am so excited that your writing has come this far. I hope that you write more; I would love to read... =)

lindaflo said...
i am so impressed! maybe you'll be working with me at gambit one day as a writer.

K. Gonzales said...
Nov. 13, 2009 at 10:23 am
You truly captured the heart of our parish! Thank you for representing Chalmette High School and 'da Parish with style! (Wings Up!)

teacher said...
Nov. 13, 2009 at 9:00 am
Great job! Continue writing and developing your talent. You are doing something significant every day.

goggans chs said...
Nov. 13, 2009 at 5:30 am
Great job! Very well said! Or in other words: 'Yeah you rite!'

violation504 said...
Nov. 13, 2009 at 5:06 am
Absolutly love the article. Thats what I truely wish I could convey to the people I work with and live around.

Daina said...
My thoughts exactly! Great job Kelsey!

that guy said...
you have wonderful writing skills i hope it gets put in

Billy Schehr said...
i miss it there. great innformal wrighting. hope you extend this in to an essay id love to read it

skittlezboo said...
very good.loved reading it.great job.hope it gets put in

Jayde Bui said...
You are a great writer. I love your work. Keep doing more!

millie said...
you are a really good writer kelsy love this story and its all true

samantha said...
loved it! and it really was about the parish. i jsut lied in mine :D amazing!

Christy said...
Awesome Kelsy!

brandon=D said...
Thats great =D i hope it gets put in

herrb said...
Great job Kelsy!!!! You`re an incredible author. Everything yhuu wrote was true and well put together

the authors bbf said...
Hey girl, you are an amazing writer, and finally a lot more people know about how wonderful you are at expressing your opinion. I love you and this was amazing, your writing deserves all of this attention and more:)

???????? said...
WOW. Kelsy this is really good and strangley acurate. I wish i could write this good. Good luck, I hope it gets published.