She Has Cancer | Teen Ink

She Has Cancer MAG

By Jane Danstrom BRONZE, Palatine, Illinois
Jane Danstrom BRONZE, Palatine, Illinois

She has cancer.

It’s weird to write that down. My mother has cancer. She found out last week but couldn’t bring herself to tell my brothers and me until today.

I knew it was bad news when my father called us down to our living room. I knew it was bad news when I saw the box of tissues conspicuously relocated to the coffee table. I knew it was bad news when my father prefaced his speech with “Your mother is going to be okay.” On Tuesday, I found out my mother has bone cancer.

On Wednesday, the phone calls began. Dozens of calls from relatives. Every time the phone rings, it’s someone spewing sugary words of encouragement, imploring my family to keep going, promising that everything will be all right.

My mother doesn’t answer the phone anymore. Ever since she told her sister, who told everyone, she pretends that the phone doesn’t exist, because that’s easier than pretending the cancer doesn’t exist.

My mother has cancer and she won’t pick up the phone to hear the feeble attempts at cheer and optimism from family members and friends who have resolved to be strong in our time of need. My mother has cancer, so I answer the phone for her and pretend that my relatives are right, everything is going to be all right.

She looks the same as last week, before I knew she was sick. The telltale signs of cancer that my doctor TV shows conditioned me for are missing. There are no sunken eyes, no frail body, and no bones poking out from under thin, crepe-like skin. There are no ghosts in this house, only five fully alive people. This cancer is never on TV – this part that consists only of sitting and waiting. My mother has cancer and I am waiting for something to look like it does on TV so I will know how to act. My mother has cancer and I am preparing the lines I have heard on “Grey’s Anatomy” and “House” because I don’t know what else to do.

I found out today that cancer has a smell. Since the rest of the world now knows about the cancer that has roosted in my mother’s body, flowers have been arriving endlessly. My mother has cancer and our neighbors think that a vase of tasteful calla lilies will somehow make it more bearable. Someone decided to put all of the flowers upstairs in the bedroom where my mother has taken up residence. I am afraid to go upstairs because the whole floor smells like calla lilies. Upstairs smells like cancer.

The air has changed in our house. Everyone holds their breath, tiptoes around. As if being quiet will make the cancer go away, as if it can hear every sound we make. My older brother has adopted the cancer vow of silence, like a monk praying for nirvana. He stands in my doorway at night while I lie in bed reading cancer-free books. He stares and stares until I invite him onto my bed and read to him. My older brother does not speak, but sits on the flowered comforter that seems too joyful for our now-cancerous lives. We listen earnestly to the gentle drone of the radio, allowing it to fill the space between us. No words can be formed from this diagnosis. My mother has cancer and my older brother is silent.

My younger brother does not understand. The word “cancer” deflects off his shield of innocence and he continues watching cartoons as if it were last week, before we knew. For him, my mother’s cancer means sugary cereals for dinner and as many cookies as he wants. Cancer means jumping on the bed and not brushing his teeth because no one can tell the child whose mother has cancer to do anything. My mother has cancer and my little brother thinks this is a vacation.

The normal activities of my family have been replaced by one common activity: eating. As the cancer that grows in my mother eats her alive, my family eats the endless procession of baked goods, casseroles, soups, sandwich trays, and other thoughtful items our neighbors have deemed appropriate for a family stricken by cancer, confusing our cancer-ridden silence for hunger. Someone took it upon themselves to create a schedule of meals to be delivered, and I suddenly feel like a first grader being doled out pre-made meals with stunning regularity and precision, except someone gave us meatloaf. My mother has cancer and no one else knows I don’t like meatloaf.

My mother has cancer, and the sun still rises. Cars filled with people still race past our house on their way to work in the morning and on their way home in the evening, like clockwork. The clock still has the audacity to tick and keep track of every moment that my mother has cancer. The world continues even though mine seems to have frozen over in this winter of cancer.

Lydiaq ELITE said...
on Sep. 30 2022 at 10:23 am
Lydiaq ELITE, Somonauk, Illinois

The universe must be a teenage girl. So much darkness, so many stars.
--me

Go away, @Fort_itep__nisbest , you're a troll.

Fort_itep__nisbest, Franklin, Wisconsin
Just don't get cancer L

Fort_itep__nisbest, Franklin, Wisconsin
Imagine having cancer lol bouta die Massive L no life mental

Fort_itep__nisbest, Franklin, Wisconsin
I'm so fruity

Fort_itep__nisbest, Franklin, Wisconsin
Fortnite is the best game so horn

Fort_itep__nisbest, Franklin, Wisconsin
Asia like rice farmers

Fort_itep__nisbest, Franklin, Wisconsin
What did you guys right Sal wants help

Fort_itep__nisbest, Franklin, Wisconsin
Wet sock is fun

Fort_itep__nisbest, Franklin, Wisconsin
lol imagine having cancer

Fort_itep__nisbest, Franklin, Wisconsin
So, sad stop crying please help me it's too sad.

_-Dark_Shadow-_, Orlando, Florida

"Shoot for the stars, because if u miss, you'll land among the stars"

I really want to cry :'(

Joy said...
on Sep. 25 2019 at 11:41 am
Joy, Ida, Michigan
it was sad tho

Joy said...
Joy, Ida, Michigan
Nice story liked it
.

Crazy-Dog-Lady, Nixa, Missouri

Lighten up, just enjoy life, smile more, laugh more, and don't get so worked up about things.
Kenneth Branagh

I am so so sorry to hear this. My granpa did the same thing

Sarahx15 PLATINUM, Brandon, South Dakota

"Someday everything will make perfect sense. So, for now, laugh at the confusion, smile through the tears, and keep reminding yourself that everything happens for a reason." - Art Thomas

@Jane Danstrom, I totally understand. We are currently waiting on the results from the hospital on whether or not my grandpa has liver cancer. It's completely nerve-racking and the only thing for us to do is pray and hope. My grandma's sister has ovarian cancer, and I feel as bad for her as for you :( hope everything turns out okay for your mother and family. Remember that she can-cer vive!

fantic said...
fantic, Philidelphia, Pennsylvania
Is your mother okay??? Me and a few people are really worried.

on Sep. 17 2018 at 11:10 am
Iliektoweedbucks, Franklin, Wisconsin
good job on the story, I understand the hard times too. I got ligma

on Apr. 6 2017 at 11:25 am
Jillybean BRONZE, Ypsilanti, Michigan
This is very well written and heart-wrenchingly true. As someone who had to watch the decline of a grandfather with cancer, I can deeply relate. I look forward to reading more f your work!

Bunnymom1 BRONZE, Vinton, Virginia

If we were meant to stay in one place, we'd have roots instead of feet.
-Rachel Wolchin-

This is so well written! I will be praying for you and your family.

AlejandroMoreno BRONZE, Houston, Texas

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace"

You have a lot of talent as a writer! Thank you for sharing this, I can relate a lot to what you are depicting in this memoir. I know the struggle and the uncertainty that comes with having my own mother diagnosed with cancer. You sharing this lets me now that there have been other people that have gone through what I've gone through. This can only make you stronger. I look forward to reading more work by you. :)