Family | Teen Ink

Family

By taylorcody BRONZE, Buckeye, Arizona
taylorcody BRONZE, Buckeye, Arizona

“You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them.” ~Desmond Tutu

Family is the greatest inspiration I will ever know. My family is what keeps me moving forward. They’re what push me to accomplish my goals and become a better person, and although we may lack in number, our love for one another is off the charts.

I have the family that is always trying to teach me life lessons, lessons they wish they had known at my age. I have the family that wants me to have a better life, a life filled with opportunities they never got. As I grow older, I have realized what they want life to be like for me; I know what accomplishments would make them most proud. With all my goals set out in front of me, all I wish is to complete them.

My brother is the only person in my family who has been able to attend college, and ever since I could understand words college has been in my vocabulary. I didn’t necessarily see the importance of it when I was younger all I knew was that it is a goal

I’m trying to reach. It’s something worth striving for, and that’s what I’ve done. I always pushed myself to receive the best grades possible. I did my homework every night, paid attention in class, and never got in trouble. I was an ideal student, and I owe it all to my family.

I owe it to these wonderful people because they made me believe in myself, they made me dream up beautiful dreams to work for, to accomplish. They made me realize anything in this world is possible, and if I truly want something then I need to go and get it. My dream is to become a Forensic Anthropologist, my dream is to give to the dead their voices back, my dream is to make things right, and someday I will. Granted, the journey may be hard, it may feel unbearable at times and I may want to give up, but I won’t. I won’t because I know what I’m capable of. I now see in myself what my family sees. They have made me into someone that’s worth being proud of, someone who will never stop dreaming and achieving.

Without the family I have, I would not know the things I know today, I would not feel the way I feel today, and I would not dream the way I dream today. Thank God for family.

on Oct. 12 2009 at 10:38 am
Mandiella DIAMOND, Plaistow, New Hampshire

Don't waste time. Start procrastinating now.

Aww, how sweet. I hope your family has read this because it would make them very happy :) It's good that you have a loving, supportive family because many people don't these days.