I will never forget.......

By , Tulsa, OK
I will never forget the day I decided I want to be an author. I’ll never forget my first major crush. I’ll never forget the first time I told a guy I liked him, and got rejected. I’ll never forget the first signed book I got, or the first teen book I read. I’ll never forget the time in my life when journalism was my dream career. Or the day I realized that journalism is not the path for me, but being a Unitarian Universalist minister, just might be. I’ll never forget my first boyfriend, or my first heartbreak.

For each one of these little moments I’ll always remember, there are a zillion tiny moments in my life that changed me as a person that I’ll never remember. I was thinking about this woman I once talked to, when I was four or five years old. Although I don’t remember her, I remember what she was telling me: Always wear a seatbelt when riding in a car. I also remember that she said her son had died from not wearing a seatbelt. What that lady said should not be a permanent part of who I am, but it is. Why do I remember that but I don’t remember other little moments? Most people do this, forget people they should know, forget the way they met their best friend.

It’s funny the way the mind works; it’s funny how people forget experiences they thought would always stick with them. I wonder what ten years from now I’ll remember about this year, and what I will forget. Hopefully I’ll forget all the embarrassing moments, but with my luck, those will be the memories ingrained in my mind forever.

a.m.f said...
Jul. 19, 2010 at 1:52 am
This is good. It's like you read my mind.  Everything you said is my life.  I wonder what I'll remember in ten years, too. Haha just like you, it will probably be the embarassing stuff.  That's mainly what I remember from my past so far; the embarassing moments. :)

antoniutc said...
wow. os true and easy to relate to. You're an amazing writer. Can you check out my memoir too?

Lolopoodle said...
Worded perfectly! And it almost scared me because it is exactly what i think a lot of the time. I had the same experience with a woman who told me something so seemingly insignificant that i wonder why i still tell it to myself today.

Ren-P. replied...
Lolopoodle- Isn't that the just the weirdest thing? :)

JorEliMas said...
wow i love this so much, you did an amazing job. its so true and i can relate to it so much

L.G. smiles said...
Wow! That is so true. I agree with you, I remember playing with my best friend but not meeting her. I wonder way are mind does that to us. Congradulations on writing such a fantastic piece.

TheAnonymousAuthor replied...
Oct. 4, 2009 at 8:36 am
Thank you both for the nice comments! :)

Cesare replied...
That is to be human I suppose.