I will never forget....... | Teen Ink

I will never forget.......

I will never forget the day I decided I want to be an author. I’ll never forget my first major crush. I’ll never forget the first time I told a guy I liked him, and got rejected. I’ll never forget the first signed book I got, or the first teen book I read. I’ll never forget the time in my life when journalism was my dream career. Or the day I realized that journalism is not the path for me, but being a Unitarian Universalist minister, just might be. I’ll never forget my first boyfriend, or my first heartbreak.

For each one of these little moments I’ll always remember, there are a zillion tiny moments in my life that changed me as a person that I’ll never remember. I was thinking about this woman I once talked to, when I was four or five years old. Although I don’t remember her, I remember what she was telling me: Always wear a seatbelt when riding in a car. I also remember that she said her son had died from not wearing a seatbelt. What that lady said should not be a permanent part of who I am, but it is. Why do I remember that but I don’t remember other little moments? Most people do this, forget people they should know, forget the way they met their best friend.

It’s funny the way the mind works; it’s funny how people forget experiences they thought would always stick with them. I wonder what ten years from now I’ll remember about this year, and what I will forget. Hopefully I’ll forget all the embarrassing moments, but with my luck, those will be the memories ingrained in my mind forever.

a.m.f BRONZE said...
on Jul. 19 2010 at 1:52 am
a.m.f BRONZE, Gainesville, Florida

"God never shuts a door unless he opens another."

This is good. It's like you read my mind.  Everything you said is my life.  I wonder what I'll remember in ten years, too. Haha just like you, it will probably be the embarassing stuff.  That's mainly what I remember from my past so far; the embarassing moments. :)

antoniutc BRONZE, Edison, New Jersey

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. -Henry Thoreau

To laugh often and much, to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children, to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends, to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others, to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch… to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded! –Ralph Emerson

wow. os true and easy to relate to. You're an amazing writer. Can you check out my memoir too?

Cesare GOLD said...
Cesare GOLD, Sacramento, California

Do you know the only value life has is what life puts upon itself? And it is of course overestimated, since it is of necessity prejudiced in its own favor. [You] do not lose anything, for with the loss of yourself, you lose the knowledge of loss.

That is to be human I suppose.

Ren-P. PLATINUM, Tulsa, Oklahoma

"You must give up a life you’d planned in order to have the life that’s waiting for you." ~ Joseph Campbell

Lolopoodle- Isn't that the just the weirdest thing? :)

Lolopoodle said...
Worded perfectly! And it almost scared me because it is exactly what i think a lot of the time. I had the same experience with a woman who told me something so seemingly insignificant that i wonder why i still tell it to myself today.

on Oct. 4 2009 at 8:36 am
Thank you both for the nice comments! :)

JorEliMas said...
JorEliMas, Louisville, Kentucky

life is a mixture of possibilites

wow i love this so much, you did an amazing job. its so true and i can relate to it so much

L.G. smiles said...
Wow! That is so true. I agree with you, I remember playing with my best friend but not meeting her. I wonder way are mind does that to us. Congradulations on writing such a fantastic piece.