Height

Height is a major factor of your being. Height affects every aspect of your life. How you behave and a lot of the way you move is affected by your height. Have you ever noticed that shorter people tend to be louder so that they don’t get lost in a sea of people taller than them? Taller people stand out as they are so they do not have to work as hard to be heard. Many people are intimidated by height especially guys. I can always tell when a boy is intimidated by my height especially if they are really short. There is just something about tall girls that short boys are scared of. I don’t think they are as comfortable with a girl who is taller than they are. There are many annoying things about being tall. A few that drive me crazy are as follows:
1)
Strangers who love to point out the obvious. They walk up to you and say, “Wow you are really tall!” I just want to say back, “No, really? I had no idea, thanks for enlightening me!”
2)
When people ask if I play basketball or volleyball. Just because I am tall that does not automatically make me a basketball or volleyball player. Do short people play mini golf?
3)
When tall men are with short women. This happens all of the time and it makes me nuts! I see so many tall guys with extremely short women. In fact my parents have a whole foot difference between them. I think that short girls should date short guys. Sometimes I just want to burst out and say, “Save some tall guys for me!”
4)
I can never find pants long enough for my legs. I hate it when the pants are short enough that you can see my ankles I do not find that attractive personally. There have been many times when I have gone shopping for pants and have had a hard time finding tall lengths but there are plenty of average lengths. Also, it is common to have a hard time covering my whole torso so I have to continuously pull my shirt down. The religion I am a part of has modesty rules that include wearing shorts and skirts to your knee. Do you know how hard it is to find skirts and shorts that go to my knee?
5)
Most of my friends are short. When we take pictures together my legs get a work-out because I have to do squats so that I do not look like an idiot towering over everyone. Walking around outside is difficult when there are trees around, if I am walking near trees I feel self conscious and like I look really stupid because I have to bend over so that I do not wham right into a branch. And when I do not bend over I look even more stupid by running into a branch and stumbling backwards. My worst experience was when I exited the bus and hit my head on the top of the door, I fell backwards onto the stairs and slide down to the ground, now if that is not embarrassing I do not know what is.
6)
Short people complaining about being short. They don’t even know how good they have it. They can date any guy they want and they don’t have to deal with bumping into things with their heads or feeling awkward because they are taller than their date.
7)
My mom always telling me to stand up straight. I guess I unconsciously slouch trying not to be quite so tall. I know that I should be proud of my height and work on my posture so that my mom doesn’t have to keep reminding me to put my shoulders back.
Being tall is a great thing when you are able to adjust but sometimes it gets extremely bothersome. I guess there are always benefits and draw backs to all heights. We always want what we don’t have, it’s time I adjust my attitude and just get over all of the things that bother me. I need to embrace the good things about my height.

Kenziemcm13 said...
May 31, 2012 at 12:51 am:

Dude, imagine being 4foot 3inch and 17 years old in high school! Yeah not so easy! You think you have a hard time trying to find clothes to wear! Well imagine only being able to shop in the kids department, and on all of there jeans have sequins and butter flys on them. And the shirts have Spongebob and disney characters, or when you are constantly being picked up like a baby doll and treated like your 5.

Or when you go to the store and cannot reach anything on the top shelf so you hav... (more »)

bedbug said...
Jul. 10, 2011 at 7:09 am:
 You have no idea how hard it is. We have to yell to be noticed, we are constantly mocked, and we leap at at any opportunity to look taller than we really are ~

earlybird_8 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

I guess you have a point, BUT...

Only 3% of CEO's in the US are shorter than the average height for men. Oh, by the way, ever see a five foot six basketball player in the NBA? Or even WNBA? Many short athletes would kill to be six foot.  And let's face it, shorter people come off as less intimidating, which is good when you're having a conversation with a stranger, but not with criminals...

On the other hand, people who are, like, seven feet tall have a higher risk for hear... (more »)

sallysunshine2 said...
Oct. 4, 2009 at 12:44 am:
Wow im only 5'3 but wat sucks is that im taller than most of the ppl i know, but ur prob thinking that ur so lucky cuz im nawt, everybody makes fun of me!

SallySunshine said...
I totally relate. I'm 5'10", 6'0" in heels, and I used to feel the exact same way. But now I love that I'm so tall because... I'm different, you know? Most of my friends are 5'5", 5'6", and 5'7". I always tease them about being short and they tease me about being a giant. I have to squat, too, in pictures.
"Save some tall guys for me!"
That made me laugh so freakin' hard!!!!!!!! Oh my God, same here. The ... (more »)

Smilex5 said...
I am short and I complain about it all the time. But you have a good point, I shouldn't be complaining. Things could be a lot worse...