You'd Like Him

You'd like that boy. The way his light blue eyes shine. Like an ocean tide, they glisten. You'd like his hair; long and dark, sometimes covering those eyes. You'd like the way he pushes that hair back, swishes his head to the side. I know you'd like the way he is, because I like it too.

She remembers the day her heart was broken, but she forced herself to get through. With tears on her face she walked down the halls; a hollow feeling inside. An empty silence that not only filled her heart but filled her entire body. She approached her friends, and when he saw her he stopped what he was saying. The bell rang, and students fled the halls, rushing to get to their classes. But he stood there, holding her together - keeping her from falling apart.
"Everything's going to be okay," he said, reassuringly.
She looked away, not wanting him to see her cry. For seeing her cry would upset him too, and that was the last thing she wanted.
"Hey," he said, touching her shoulder, then moving his hand up to her chin. "Everything's going to be okay," he repeated.
He lifted her head oh so gracefully, revealing her tear-soaked cheeks. She pushed away, looking downward, hoping he hadn't noticed.
But he had.
Because that was the first time someone actually told her the truth.
"It's not okay, I know," he began, "and it seems like it won't be either.
She looked up from the spot on the floor she'd been so carefully examining.
"But no matter how much you tell yourself you're over it, you won't be."
A warm tear rolled down her rosy cheek, resembling the same familiar glisten that hailed from his eyes.
"Don't cry hon, I'm not finished," he said with a smile, hoping it would be contagious.
When he realized it wasn't catching on he continued.
"You won't get over it until you really believe you are. Trust me I've been through this too. Don't lie to yourself, and don't force yourself to be happy. Accept what happened and accept that you can be on your own. You're a strong girl, and that girl doesn't let anything stand in her way."
She wiped her eyes with her sleeves, sniffed, and tried to smile. She tried to think of words to say, but nothing came to mind. They just stood there for what seemed like forever in the odd silence of the hallway.
"I'm so lucky you're my best friend," was all she said.
And she smiled at him, the first real smile she'd let slip through her lips.
"I'm even luckier," was all he said in return.

So you'd like that boy. The way he comforts, and makes everything seem alright. You'd like the way that he talks; convinces you you're fine and tells you to believe it too. But mostly you'd like his light blue eyes. Like an ocean tide, they glisten. I know you'd like the way he is, because I like it too.

MaliLove said...
This was an AMAZING story. I loved every part of it :)

Luv2WriteNO1 said...
Jul. 28, 2012 at 6:19 pm:
I can tell you put your heart into this piece and it was wonderful!  Please look at my writings if you can.

MistrBrighterside said...
Feb. 3, 2012 at 8:28 am:
Wow! I was getting teary eyed while reading that. It's obvious that someone before this new 'boy' had left her heartbroken. The dialogue is what I think got me. that 'boy' has a way with words! ;)

candylover said...
wow so well written! and i love this!

the peanut man said...
Dec. 9, 2011 at 9:43 am:
I'm sure I would enjoy him too. Very descripive.

JOJO said...
Nov. 29, 2011 at 10:49 am:
this writeing is amazing you are really talented keep it going!!!

Victoria.S said...
Sept. 24, 2011 at 10:05 am:
I love this post! It made me feel like I was there... Keep writing! 

ChanchieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
wow!!keep writing please!!!

theblonde said...
Oct. 29, 2010 at 11:35 am:
I love this! It was really good. With your description, i put myself in that hallway. I could imagine them. I imagined all of it.

Diana101 said...
I really enjoyed it!! Keep on writing!! :)

mckena said...
Feb. 7, 2010 at 10:14 pm:
I loved it keep writing!!

mjordan375 said...
Feb. 7, 2010 at 7:46 pm:
I like the idea, but I think it would be more effective if you stayed in one tense. Two is too conflicting

Charlotte C. said...
Feb. 7, 2010 at 11:17 am:
This is really good. Its really cute!!! please I would love it if you are anyone would read my memoir so please take a look at it. It's called "A Person to Laugh At" and I'd love you to rate it and comment on it so I get some feed back!!! Thanks

Whitney512 said...
Sept. 28, 2009 at 7:58 am:
Awsome poem i love it

Jenna B. replied...
Oct. 20, 2009 at 6:41 pm :
If you are going to read a piece you should at least know what it is. This piece is a memior not a poem...that is why its published in the MEMOIR section of the website.

Christine D. said...
I really enjoyed reading this piece of work. I like how you express the feelings and you use a lot of good word choice! Great piece!
By the way: I also love piano and like Coldplay! :)

Hannah523 replied...
Sept. 26, 2009 at 7:31 pm :
Thanks! :)

Ambyy replied...
Sept. 28, 2009 at 10:35 am :
awww its soo cute :*)