Just swinging

There’s something strange and magical about a swing set. As a child, I always loved to swing. Nothing on the playground ever compared to the swings. Sometimes I would close my eyes and let the cool breeze be my friend, seemingly helping me rise off the ground. And when I opened my eyes, I would see that the swing had carried me far beyond the playground, far beyond the grove of trees along the edge of the field, but I was never afraid. It was the only thing that could truly make me forget life and simultaneously make me alive.

With time, though, I outgrew elementary school and moved on. By then swinging was a mere ghost of a memory and was almost forgotten. Almost. The summer before high school, I revisited my old playground. Like an abandoned house, it had all the nostalgic memories of a previous home, and yet, I was drawn to only the swings. If there’s something strange and magical about a swing set, it’s because it’s never empty for long. The air was still as I got on, the metal chains never made a sound. Slowly, as I swung, I remembered, no, embraced. I embraced the cool wind on my face, the thrill of being weightless, the knowledge of being too high for any trouble to reach. And I embraced what it was like to be a child again. Sometimes I can still see that teenage girl on the deserted playground. Just swinging.

FudgeMuffins95 said...
dude this is wicked good.
KEEP ON WRITING!

9CatsPerLife101 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 7, 2010 at 10:08 pm :
Thanks! And I will ;]

SuperGRL111 said...
This does bring back memories. Athough I can't say i was a 100% advocate of swinging, i can feel all the playground memories coming back to me.

MysticMagic said...
5 stars. gr8 work.

ilikebread said...
i feel like a little kid again...eating wonderbread :]

hillaryliu said...
This is amazing! This brings back memories of when I used to swing. I'll definitely go visit my neighborhood park and swing some.

Jan. 7, 2010 at 10:05 pm :
That's great! I would highly recommend it ;)

Ankav said...
I loved that and completely understand. When I swing I like to close my eyes until I get to the top then open them so I can feel like I'm flying.

Sept. 26, 2009 at 9:13 pm :
Thank you so much for reading my article!
Hopefully more to come!

thatpreppygirl replied...
Mar. 10, 2011 at 5:28 pm :
i swing and listen to my ipod almost everyday.. it makes me daydream and feel emotions. i love it. sooo glad im not the only one..lol! (: