Just swinging

There’s something strange and magical about a swing set. As a child, I always loved to swing. Nothing on the playground ever compared to the swings. Sometimes I would close my eyes and let the cool breeze be my friend, seemingly helping me rise off the ground. And when I opened my eyes, I would see that the swing had carried me far beyond the playground, far beyond the grove of trees along the edge of the field, but I was never afraid. It was the only thing that could truly make me forget life and simultaneously make me alive.

With time, though, I outgrew elementary school and moved on. By then swinging was a mere ghost of a memory and was almost forgotten. Almost. The summer before high school, I revisited my old playground. Like an abandoned house, it had all the nostalgic memories of a previous home, and yet, I was drawn to only the swings. If there’s something strange and magical about a swing set, it’s because it’s never empty for long. The air was still as I got on, the metal chains never made a sound. Slowly, as I swung, I remembered, no, embraced. I embraced the cool wind on my face, the thrill of being weightless, the knowledge of being too high for any trouble to reach. And I embraced what it was like to be a child again. Sometimes I can still see that teenage girl on the deserted playground. Just swinging.

Dance.Out.Loud said...
Jan. 8, 2010 at 6:12 am
Wow...
That's all I can say.

9CatsPerLife101 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 8, 2010 at 6:27 am
Lol thanks :)

nomonkehbusinesspleaze said...
this is pretty good.

KatalinaCrush2010 said...
my friend would love this, im going to send it to her

Jan. 8, 2010 at 6:27 am
I hope she will!

strawberrylipgloss17 said...
Nice topic. It's not everyday we read about swinging. 2 thumbs up!

thank you so much!

eshenft37 said...
i can't believe i found someone who actually likes swinging as much as i do! you just gotta <3 the feeling

Haha I definitely know the feeling.

DizniFan4Lyfe said...
I love love love love love this. And i think it's best short and sweet. :)

lol glad you like it!

EllenHu said...
Not too bad. I feel like it could be longer but overall good job.

i appreciate your advice

flamesword117 said...
Nice job, fluid writing style.

thanks! :)

crazzzzieGurlie98 said...
Dude I SO GET U!
I definitely understand this...FLYING feeling. Niceeeeeeeee

If only people could realize that swinging is like getting high...lol.

cHoCoLaTeCrAvInGs said...
I think this is better than ok. I really like this!

environmaniaBOY22 said...
this is ok.

FudgeMuffins95 said...
dude this is wicked good.
KEEP ON WRITING!