Fifty Reasons to Live MAG

A few years ago, when I was 14, I didn't want to live anymore. It all seemed so hopeless. Everything. I remember.

The guidance counselor had thrown me out of her office. That doesn't happen to normal people. Normal people go to the counselor and get the help they need. I was too messed up to be helped, too messed up to put up with it anymore.

No one could have suspected something was wrong with me. I had always been the clown in my social circle. Clowns don't cry.

But I did.
Even at the community theater, the only place that gave me moments of happiness. Something about the darkness did it. Sometimes I would sit on the floor between the curtains and just let the tears flow. It was easy when I was a stagehand. No one could even see me, garbed in black, hiding within the black curtains with the lights off.

I was invisible. And no one ever knew.

Then things started to get really bad. My grades fell. I spent more and more time by myself after school. I was living in Germany on a stupid army base. There was nothing more isolating than spotting someone I knew every time I left the house. I always had to be on my best behavior. I had to keep looking over my shoulder. I couldn't let up, because they couldn't know the truth. There was no sanctuary. Fear was my cage. The bars were cold, black, unbreakable. I was inside.

And I was alone.

One night I took out a piece of paper and a pen to write the first draft of a suicide note. Of course I would do it in drafts; personality quirks don't just disappear, even in times of extreme hopelessness.

I touched my pen to the paper but couldn't write. Words wouldn't come; my pen wouldn't form them. Instead I took a deep breath and wrote something entirely different.

50 Reasons to Live

1. My family would miss me.

2. My friends would miss me.

3. I want to grow up to be something.

4. I want a chance to change the world.

5. I want to go on a date.

6. Old people get discounts.

7. All that dirt on top of my coffin would be ­really heavy.

8. I would never find out who won “American Idol.”

9. When Bush leaves the presidency, I want to throw a party.

10. The afterlife seems scary.

11. I really need to pass gym class.

12. I wouldn't get to pick the clothes they'd bury
­me in.

13. Katie doesn't have the guts to be the big sister.

14. Mom and Dad would have to start paying babysitters without me.

15. Funerals are expensive.

16. I would miss fudge brownies.

17. I need a haircut.

18. I want to learn to drive.

19. I want to be old enough to legally drink.

20. I have heard it's a real shame to die a virgin.

21. I don't want to die before my virtual pet.

22. No one would be around to clean out my closet.

23. The world needs my help.

24. At this point, things can only get better.

25. Just as I don't want to lose the people close to me, they don't want to lose me.

26. I want to at least earn a high school diploma.

27. I'd like a college diploma too.

28. There might not be chocolate in heaven (assuming there is one and I go there).

29. You can't eat ice cream in hell (assuming there is one and I go there).

30. Life shouldn't just be thrown away.

31. I want to know who gets killed next on “Lost.”

32. A teacher I had once said, “Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.”

33. People don't reach their life quotas until at least age 87.

34. With my luck, I'll probably have a winning lottery ticket in my pocket when I go.

35. Even if my life is not important to me, it's probably important to someone.

36. The seventh Harry Potter book hasn't come ­out yet.

37. If God is real, I picture him to be a lot like that kid sitting on an anthill burning ants with a magnifying glass, and I'm not real excited about meeting him.

38. A lot of people deserve to die more than I do.

39. Claustrophobics and coffins don't mix.

40. I don't want to choose the day of my death.

41. I hear senior year of high school is pretty fun.

42. It would really suck to attempt to harm myself and end up surviving anyway.

43. Maybe there's someone out there who understands.

44. They need me at the theater to do those tricky scene changes.

45. No one else has half the sense to edit that stupid school newspaper but me.

46. I would really miss science class.

47. I refuse to become a statistic.

48. I want a chance to do something stupid at ­graduation.

49. Life can change, but death is pretty absolute.

50. There is always a reason to live.

I couldn't write a suicide note. And I couldn't commit suicide without writing one. So I didn't die. We moved away from that army base, but I wasn't fixed.

I started my sophomore year of high school no less messed up than I had been the previous year. I was just stuck in a writer's block.

*
*
*
*

They saved me. They changed me.

I told my English teacher first. Fighting against all my mental conditioning, I let the words out. And she didn't hate me. She didn't kick me out of her room. She gave me a hug. I cried and cried that night, but I wasn't crying out of hopelessness this time.

My history teacher was next, much later in the year. I had begun to think that maybe the English teacher was a weird exception to the rule, that no one else would react like she did. But the history teacher didn't hate me. She didn't throw me out of her room.

She put a hand on my shoulder and smiled gently, reassuringly. Maybe
the guidance counselor had been the ­exception.

My cage opened. They reached in and helped me step out, guiding me with kindness and advice. Together we walked out of the darkness, out of the gloom, away from the depression and into the light. They urged me to look up at the sky, the azure, expansive wonder rolling out over my head. Look up and beyond, they said, look at your future, see where you can go. They took my hands, ruffled my hair, smiled and nudged me forward. Never stop moving, they said, never allow cages to hold you, never stop dreaming, never stop making your dreams come true.

This was what I had almost missed out on, what I had almost left behind with reckless abandon – love, in all of its blinding singularity, going on forever right in the place I had never thought to look.

I wiped my eyes and looked up. Love was there, just as tangible as the two people who had led me
to it.

*
*
*
*

I keep my failed suicide note inside my sophomore yearbook, which I asked both teachers to sign. The paper is wrinkled and torn. The folds are deep. My handwriting is illegible in some parts, but I know what it says because I committed every word to memory as I wrote it.

It is a token from a place I will never return to. It is proof that I survived. It is something born from the darkness that helped lead me to the light. It is a piece of writing that I unfold and reread on cloudy days to remind me that the sun will always return with the morning light.

on Apr. 26 2013 at 9:12 pm
Sparkle1pops PLATINUM, Colorado Springs, Colorado

"No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist."
- Oscar Wilde

hehehe I couldn't help laughing even though it was a suicide note XD It was sooooooo great! I really think i can cope with you. Sometimes I feel depressed but reading articles like this is what keeps me going :) Thank you!

on Apr. 23 2013 at 1:57 am
I dont like to die because in hell no Vadav Pav is served.

on Feb. 4 2013 at 7:25 pm
MckennaS PLATINUM, Port St Lucie, Florida

"Me?
Well, I’m well.
Well, I mean I’m in hell.
Well, I still have my health
At least that’s what they tell me
If wellness is this, what in hell’s name is sickness?"

My favorite is "I don't want to die before my virtual pet" I love this. Thank you.

on Dec. 1 2012 at 6:14 pm
Aeliss-Novak-the-Zombie-Space-Pirate BRONZE, That Place With All The Trees And Stuff, Oregon

Impossible is not a word, just a reason not to try.~Kutless

I'm going to smile and make you think I'm happy, I'm going to laugh, so you don't see me cry, I'm going to let you go in style, and even if it kills me - I'm going to smile.~Anonymous

YES YES YES YES! I wish more people would see that things get better.

KatsK DIAMOND said...
on Feb. 20 2012 at 12:02 pm
KatsK DIAMOND, Saint Paul, Minnesota

Being inexhaustible, life and nature are a constant stimulus for a creative mind.
~Hans Hofmann
You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
~Ray Bradbury

Great job!!!! Seriously, this is really great, and inspiring, (and I must say I love how you sat down to write your suicide letter in drafts) and this shows how you can still have/find/maintain hope even when contemplating killing yourself, and you cared enough about life to turn away from the deep abyss that many others can't. but maybe this will change that. great job!

friel said...
on Feb. 16 2012 at 1:03 pm
I can't believe how she went through this. This had to be so hard for her.

on Jan. 13 2012 at 4:06 pm
Free_One PLATINUM, ????, Ohio

"I am not invincible or unstoppable, but I stay strong because it is the only way to survive in this world."

this almost made me cry, then I read the rest! This was simply amazing! Good job and great reasons. :)(:

on Dec. 15 2011 at 11:52 am
beans kid JOSH THE MAN!!!

on Nov. 24 2011 at 6:07 pm
pens-are-mightier-than-swords SILVER, Caledonia, Michigan

"we often put up walls not to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to break them down"
~Author Unknown

Simply amazing! You are a great writer. This really captures the feeling that so many, including myself, have felt. Inspiring, astounding, incredible. Please keep writing!

Amelia said...
on Nov. 24 2011 at 3:48 pm
This is fantastic, I love it!

on Nov. 16 2011 at 2:26 pm
TheWhiteFlower BRONZE, Greenville, South Carolina

No man can be called friendless who has God and the companionship of good books. ~Elizabeth Barrett Browning

this is really great

TaurusGal GOLD said...
on Nov. 4 2011 at 11:06 pm
TaurusGal GOLD, Hong Kong, Other
I have always thought of killing myself. Thinking how easy it is to just escape all the problems in the world. However, the 50 reasons to live made me realize that I have reasons to live too. My parents and friends will be miserable if I just leave like this. Anyway, I think this article is very meaningful and profound indeed. Excellent work. =]

on Oct. 25 2011 at 12:54 pm
HeatherBee BRONZE, I Live In, Texas

Go on and try to tear me down. I will be rising from the ground, like a skyscraper

Love is louder than the pressure to be perfect

Wow!!!!!!!! I cant believe how deeply beautiful this is!!!!!!!!! Wow, u r talented. Thank you for writing this :) It'll touch ppl's hearts

leafy said...
on Oct. 25 2011 at 12:31 pm
leafy, City, Other

Gil: I would like you to read my novel and get your opinion. 
Ernest Hemingway: I hate it. 
Gil: You haven't even read it yet. 
Ernest Hemingway: If it's bad, I'll hate it. If it's good, then I'll be envious and hate it even more. You don't want the opinion of another writer. 

Thank you for writing this, it helped me a lot. Just - thank you.

on Sep. 26 2011 at 9:47 pm
F0rgtt3nDr34m5, Holland, Michigan
I really Loved this... I struggled with this same issue my Freshmen year of highschool.. Keep your head up high!! <3 You should be proud of yourself, I am (:

afisher said...
on Sep. 23 2011 at 5:50 pm
afisher, Franklinville, New York

If they give u lined paper write the other way.

-Juan Ramon Jimenez

When I was reading this it felt like I was reading something that I would have wrote ecxept I still havn't told anyone about it and the only solace I have had was from God, he's the one that hauled me out of the blackness.

on Sep. 21 2011 at 4:48 pm
Maggie2014 GOLD, Great Falls, Virginia
I dont knwo you but i am so proud of what you have accompished. In reading your piece i was able to step back and evaluate my onw life and right my own 50 reasons. This piece touches people deep down your writing has touched me in a way that i can only hope my writing touches others. Fantastic Job!

cookiegirl said...
on Sep. 17 2011 at 5:18 am
Nice article, it's uplifting for those feeling down, hopeless and struggling with life. Good job:).

on Sep. 10 2011 at 7:04 pm
MarinaRose GOLD, New Hyde Park, New York

"Most people want a happy ending but not me. I want never ending happiness."

This is honestly one of the most uplifting and positive things I have ever read.

on Sep. 5 2011 at 7:18 pm
Annmarie11_12_13 ELITE, Paramus, New Jersey
Oh my God.  I can relate more than ever.  I told my English teacher first.  She hugged me.  She saved me.  The new guidance counselor, the one that had no idea who I was, took me in, became my savior.  Number 43 on your list is right.  I understand.

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!