MOST MEMORABLE DAY(SO FAR) | Teen Ink

MOST MEMORABLE DAY(SO FAR)

June 7, 2023
By Author3946 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Author3946 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My most memorable day changes from day-to-day. Some days it is hanging with my family, other days it is relaxing by a pool or beach while reading a book. The point is I have many fond memories but…

 Today, My most memorable day was walking around downtown with my two best friends. We had just been up all night eating food we would regret in the morning and watching bad movies while laughing until we felt our abs. But in the morning there was the bluest sky and the sun felt perfectly warm. We each dressed in the colors of America. One red, one blue, and one white. We sat together and watched the parade go by and after that the sun was beginning to dim and the lights from the edge of the pool turned on as bright bombs of color exploded in the sky. 

I look down at my phone, my hands still slightly wet from the pool, to see my mom had texted me, Have fun, be safe! I texted her a heart in reply but really just brushed off her comment. I was always safe. I switch my phone from the messaging app to the weather app to see that it was supposed to start storming soon. I looked up at the sky, the clouds fluffy like cotton but, they were turning darker by the minute. I couldn’t quite tell if it was the sun setting or if it was the storm. 

I ignored it and grabbed a piece of watermelon before jumping into the pool again. The three of us stood in the water laughing as we splashed each other. At that moment, a strike of lightning ran through the sky. It was so close the lightning looked like a human vein pumping electricity through it rather than blood. 

We all froze, turning our heads to the sky before bursting out with laughter at how dangerously close to us it struck. 

Jenna’s mom poked her head out of the back door that led to the pool area and yelled, “Girls, come in if there is lightning.” 

We slowly meandered out of the pool, hoping to stay under the water as long as possible. Eventually, we forced ourselves out of the pool and wrapped ourselves in towels. The air felt cold against my bare skin. I tried to dry it off as fast as I could in an attempt to warm myself. 

A rumble of thunder came from the sky. BOOM. I could feel it in my feet as I stood on the pavement. I looked at the sky and felt the drops of summer rain start to fall. Quickly we ran into the house after Jenna closed the pool. 

“Wait,” Brooke said loudly. She ran out in the rain yelling, “The food!” She grabbed the tray of fruit from a table and ran back inside with it. She had barely done anything but we burst into tears laughing so hard. I would blame it on the insane about of caffeine we had today and yesterday. The dogs joined in on our obnoxiousness and we carried plates of food to Jenna’s room. 

We each changed into comfy clothes, consisting of sweatshirts and sweatpants. We combed our hair and dried it the best we could knowing it was going to be a mess regardless. The dogs snuggled with us on Jenna’s bed which held an assortment of food. Cookies, cupcakes, fruits, veggies, chips, and crackers were for the taking. 

We listened to the rain beating down on the window and the thunder following seconds after flashes of lightning. Only half paying attention to the storm and half watching Tik Toks while drinking more unnecessary caffeine.