Some can be nice | Teen Ink

Some can be nice

By LIL_B BRONZE, Brookline, Massachusetts
LIL_B BRONZE, Brookline, Massachusetts

“Never trust strangers.” That's what everyone would always say to me. They would always go on about how we shouldn't trust people that we don't know, and even whenever they say they need help. I always thought that wasn’t such a nice thing because what if they really need someone. My family explained to me why we can't trust them, and I still didn’t understand. I just listened to them, so I won't have to hear it again.

“Make sure to hold on tightly,” Jada yells as she pushes me.  

“I know, you don’t always have to tell me everytime,” I yell back, rolling my eyes at the bossy girl. As I was on the zipline going to the other side, my hand was getting sweaty. My hand slipped, making me fly forward to the stairs. I hit my head on the metal stairs so hard, and it was so painful that I started to scream. My sister ran to me worried and scared that I hurt myself really badly. 

My sister Jada held me close to her, and she was holding my head to make sure I was ok. 

“ Barbara you're ok, it's ok,” she said as she held onto me tighter. It was until she felt something leaking from my head and started freaking out. When Jada got me to stand up on my feet, she tried to walk me home, but I wasn’t really able to walk fast enough. So she started to ask for help from random people,but no one helped us. They just stared at us, and covered their mouths in shock. She didn’t know what to do, so she ran to get my mom from home.

As she was running home, I kept asking people for help, until a young lady came up to me with her friends. She reached into her bag and took some napkins out to place them on my head. ¨Hey are you ok¨, the lady was talking to me to keep me awake and calm as she walked me out of the park. “Everything is going to be ok,” she whispered as she held my shoulder. She told me her name, but I couldn’t remember it at the time due to how much pain I was in. I just wanted the pain to stop. When we were walking out of the park, I saw my mom running so fast to me with my sister, when I noticed her face I was shocked. 

My mom looked so scared, and I've never seen her like that before. She picked me up so fast, and ran all the way home with me.  Once we got home she started the car to take me to the hospital. Though, I didn’t feel as much pain as before. “Mom I'm fine, I'm alright,” I said to keep her calm, but she wouldn’t believe me. She rushed to grab her keys. I tried to take the napkin away from my face, but she kept trying to glue it back. Mom was really scared for me, and the way she was acting kinda did make me scared. We left to go to the hospital in a hurry.

I was awake when they put the stitches in and I didn’t really feel that much pain as before. They told my mom they had to put two stitches inside,and about four to six outside. Mom was talking to the doctor about what pain medicine I needed to take.

And I kept thinking about the lady who helped me. I did listen to the rule, the rule to never trust strangers. She was really nice to me, and when she saw me bleeding, she took action right away. That's when my opinion kinda changed on people, and now I knew I could kinda trust people a little more. Because if it wasn’t for that young lady putting a napkin on my face, I would have kept bleeding. Now I know that some strangers aren’t like how everyone says they are. They also want to care, and help people that are in need. They are not all dangerous, and I will thank every person who helps me even if I know them or not. Even though I don't remember her name, I still thank her for helping me so much.

I don't exactly remember all of the details because I was young, and most of the time I tend to try to forget this day due to how scary it was. I didn’t remember the young lady’s name, so I didn’t put it. I thought that would be very disrespectful because she did help me. But some of the parts where my sister is talking aren't the exact words that she said, but close to them. And I also did get my sister and mom’s point of view on it since I can’t remember a lot of things that happened to me.