Getting my first dog! | Teen Ink

Getting my first dog!

A chill goes down my back. I shiver from shutting my backdoor from wishing my mom goodbye, and keeping her safe from the icy roads. She’d gone shopping. And it was nearly Christmas Eve. And there was only one thing I wanted for Christmas. A puppy. A puppy to play with, a puppy to care for, and mostly, a puppy to love. I’d written every night in my small purple diary everything I would need for a puppy, what I would do for a puppy, and names for the puppy. I would stay up just thinking about having a puppy of my own. Every time I saw a dog with its owner I would go crazy! I would be SO excited to see the dog, and pet it. As I closed my door and waved my mom goodbye, I was in the middle of trying to get my friend to play minecraft with me! This was the time where I was a beginner in minecraft. We had been trying to play together for hours. Thinking and creating things we’d wanted to build.   

After hours, my mom got home. And I was relieved to see her. I had gotten worried. Now, because I was in 2nd grade at the time, I still believed in Santa Claus. And I had written to Santa that all I wanted for Christmas was a puppy!!! Now, after a few moments after my mom got home and got all cozy. I heard the doorbell ring. Now, I thought it was one of my friends! But, all that was on the porch was a a big box with a big red bow!! There was also dog food, and toys, etc. But when I looked at the box, it had a big sign that said, “To Olivia and Josie. From North Pole HeadQuarters.” After I heard that I was so excited, I hadn’t opened the box yet. But I definitely thought that there was going to be an adorable puppy. After we brought the box inside our house, I opened the box with my family all around me. And when I opened it. I couldn’t believe my eyes. There was a tiny, small, puppy inside the box. And when I saw her. I screamed. I was so excited.    

The little puppy was dinky, and she didn’t make a noise. She was as quiet as a mouse. My whole family held her, but still. Not a peep came out of her. She was exhausted. I ran up to my room, and grabbed my diary. I already knew what I wanted to name her. Bella. My family decided to name her Bella Grace Hart. We put her in a little crate that my dad ran to go get. As we placed her in there carefully, she didn’t move. And we decided to all pray. We all wanted a healthy, happy, dog. And after we prayed. Not even a minute, she bounced up, and went full puppy mode! She wanted to play, and went crazy. It was amazing! After knowing that she was going to be okay, I knew that she was going to help us. And make this family even better. 

I love animals.