2021 Kindness Contest: The Little Things | Teen Ink

2021 Kindness Contest: The Little Things

I never like making a big deal about my birthday. In the past my birthday has always been when I have conferences. This year was different. I tried my best to not really talk about my birthday at school because I just wanted it to be a normal day, and it was except for when I walked into school. As I walked down the big stairs that go down to my locker I saw a large group of people crowded around the base of the stairs. I did not really know what was going on but when I got to the bottom of the stairs this large group of people gave me a big group hug and screamed happy birthday in my face. 

I said thank you and slowly walked to my locker. As I was walking to my locker I thought to myself “How did people know that today was my birthday?” When I got to my locker I looked up to see a wall of yellow. But it wasn't a wall at all, it was my locker and it was full of Post-it notes wishing me a happy 14th birthday! I turned around and saw all the people that wrote notes. They all had this happy smiley look on their faces that really showed how much they actually cared. I thought to myself again about who told them it was my birthday and why so many people would do such a thing for me.

I wanted to take them down but I realized that if I did that, what message would it be sending to them that I saw them and took them down. So I left them up, and I am glad that I did. If I would have taken them down I would not have gotten all the adional ones throughout the day. When I got home from school that day I had a huge smile on my face and I told my mom the whole story. At first she didn't believe me, and I would not have either. 

I still find it crazy that people would do that for me. I am still not entirely sure who started it but I am just so thankful that they did. It really made me happy, and because of that whenever I find out about other peoples birthdays I try to get a bunch of people to do it for them too. 

This is a true story about when I recived a bunch of Post-It notes on my locker at school for my 14th birthday.