Black & White Memory | Teen Ink

Black & White Memory

As I get into my car, I see a beautiful smile, lovely eyes, and my best friend all in one little thin black and white picture. I begin to smile and all the memories come rushing back to my head. The thought of knowing she is with me through a picture is heartwarming. However, it sometimes feels like my heart shattered like a piece of glass since she is not with us physically. I miss that beautiful smile and goofy, contagious laugh you had. I never had realized how much one little picture can have such an impact on someone's life. To my best friend and cousin all in one, I don’t know why God took you so soon but only he knows why. Forever my guardian angel. 

A taller girl, with long dark brown hair that matched the shape of her face perfectly, and a smile that lit up everyone's day even if they were having a bad day. A contagious laugh that made everyone else laugh and perfect pearly teeth. My best friend and my cousin all in one. The most kind hearted and sweetest person that has impacted my life so much. Now all I have are the pictures and memories we took together. 

I was given this picture 4 years ago, although at that time it wasn’t enough. I just wanted my best friend back. I was at my grandma's house with my two cousins. The sun was shining bright and the air was toasty. The birds were chirping loudly and the breeze was pleasant. We all swung the door open, sprinted to the car, and got in. While driving down the road we had the windows down, our hair blowing in the wind, our music playing blaring while singing the songs. We arrived at my uncle's, ran into the house to change into our bathing suits, sprinted to the pool, and jumped in. Little did I know I only had an hour left with my best friend and that was the last of our memories. It was a hard day for everyone. I started shaking and crying nonstop. I felt like it was my fault and everyone was going to blame it on me. I just wanted to be alone, in my darkroom, and cry. 

As time goes on all I can remember are the memories. I will never forget the impact she had on my life. From being together all the time, helping me through the low points in my life, and there when I needed anything to nothing anymore. No matter what she was always there for me. Having this picture in my car completely changes my mood every time I get in to go somewhere. It either brings sadness or happiness knowing that I still have those memories.