The Strongest Oak | Teen Ink

The Strongest Oak

June 10, 2021
By Anonymous

 “The strongest oak in the forest is not the one that is protected from the storm and hidden from the sun. It’s the one that stands in the open where it is compelled to struggle for its existence against the winds and rains and the scorching sun.” -- Napoleon Hill           


I stood in the storm, the winds, the rain, and the scorching sun. I became the strongest oak. 

                                                               

As an 8 year old I was unable to do some things because I had to watch after my siblings. I missed out on the fun things a typical 8 year old would do. My childhood was cut short. I was a parentified youth; I had to take on the role of a mother as a young child. Up until the age of 9, I lived in a home that was rooted in neglect, but I always felt loved. The world would call me a ‘parentified youth,’ but my younger siblings considered me to be their mom. My parents loved all 5 of their children, but due to a lifetime of drug addiction, they weren’t able to take care of us. My parents were neglectful. My two oldest sisters had moved out of the house and I was the one who had to take on the responsibility of caring for my two younger siblings, making sure they both ate, bathed, and got to bed on time. I made sure they were safe. My brother called me mom, and I was the person he would go to when he needed help with something such as opening a snack or when he cried, He couldn't fall asleep without me being in the room with him. I was mother in the eyes and my younger brother and younger sister. 


When I was 9 years old I was taken from my family. My brother had been separated from me. I was  the one who had been there for him his whole life, and I wasn't with him anymore to take care of him and make sure he was safe. When I was put into foster care I was finally able to be a regular kid and play and run around without having to worry about taking care of my younger siblings. We finally had someone who could fulfill the motherly role for us, someone who we could trust and who would set us up for success, someone who would love us unconditionally and always made sure we were provided for. After 21 months in the foster care system my younger sister and I were adopted by the same amazing women, and my brother was adopted shortly after by two great parents. 


I am who I am today because my start at life was tough. But today I love children and love helping them. I have overcome adversity and hardship.Statistics about children in foster care are bleak.Research shows that 71% of young women who were in foster care will be pregnant before age 21; One in five will be homeless before age 18; 74% of former foster kids will go to prison. Statistics claim that less than 3% of foster kids earn a college degree. I am determined to break statistics and be the first one from my biological family to attend college. I plan on setting an example for my two younger siblings and show them that they can do it too. Just because they came from a broken family, it doesn’t mean that this fact has to define them. We are stronger than that, and we can rise above statistics. 


 

Although I had a rough start to my life, it doesn’t mean it will end that way. The person I am today is because of my past, but my past does not define me.My past has changed me, but I will not be reduced by it.The rest of my life will be better. Human experience is the only way to become resilient, and your reaction to adversity itself changes how your life will be. I will rise above the statistics; I refuse to be a part of them. I will graduate high school and go to college; I will not let my past affect my future. 

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11


The author's comments:

I am going to be a senior in high school.