Rat Incident | Teen Ink

Rat Incident

I rubbed my eyes while trying to focus on my evolution assignment in science class. It had recently rained outside, and the class was humid. It was 12 in the afternoon, an aura of excitement filled the room. It was near the end of the school year and everyone was excited to finally finish our years at Eisenhower Middle School. Although most students dread to walk through these doors 5 times a week, each of us started to truly appreciate the fun memories we all shared in this building. The conversations of plans for the summer echoed throughout the room and everyone was in a positive mood. 

“I’m going to LBI right after the break starts,” said Emma.

“I’m going to Alaska during July this summer,” said Abby.

Although all of us were excited to leave, it was bittersweet to leave some of our favorite teachers behind. Ms. Salmon, our science teacher was a great example of an excellent teacher. Being able to both teach and have fun, she had a great relationship with her students by teaching efficiently and also being able to joke around with them. 

“So what are you guys doing this summer?” Asked Jake,

“Nothing much, my cousins are coming over as well as my brother from college, how about you,” I replied, 

“Probably going to Hunter, the area there is beautiful during the summertime,” Jake acknowledged. 

Memories of the tall mountains in the Catskills, the cold crisp air, and fluffy snow makes me only able to imagine how pretty the landscape must be during the summer. 

“Hey Gustav, I know this is probably fake, but people are saying you threw a rat in Kate Spina’s pool,” said Brook.

“Wait who?” I answered back,

“Kate Spina,” Said Brook,

“I haven’t talked to her in ages,” I answer confused,

“Well, she is telling everyone you threw a rat in her pool,” said Brook,

“Wait What!” I answered back surprised. 

Because of this, my perfect day was ruined. Although most people didn’t believe the myth, some of her friends and others believed her. The deafening bell went off, and the whole classroom fled like a school of fish. I walked out of the classroom and pondered why kate would do this. Is it for attention? 

Is it to target me? But I haven’t talked to her in years?  

I keep on walking through the hallway and then noticed glances at me in the hallway. I felt like the whole world was staring at me. 

What are all of them looking at?

I walk through the narrow hallway to my English class. Once I entered the door I already felt like a wasn’t welcome. As I walked to my seat eyes followed me around the room. We had recently been assigned an essay for the end of the year, and everyone was working on it. The whole class breaks out in chatter and since I have no friends in the class I plug in my earbuds and listen to my music. Aerosmith is playing in m hear but I can still hear a muffled voice next to me. 

“Didn’t you hear? Gustav threw a rat in Kate’s pool,”

“Yeah, that’s so gross, honestly I’m not surprised.”

I stood up with ferocity and went over to their table. 

That was the straw that broke the donkey back (I am the Donkey). 

“Can you just shut up?” I said their group. 

They all stared at me and then continued to talk. I glare at them one last time then walk back to my seat. My head is so read it looks like a tomato. I can’t take it anymore. The Bell rings and I have a sigh of relief. I trudge out the door and walk towards my final class. French. Once that period is over I get to go home a relax. My friend Colby runs up to me 

“Hey, what’s up Gustav!” Colby said panting,

“What’s up,” I said back,

“What’s wrong? Is it that rat thing?” said Colby,

“Yeah! It’s so stupid! I literally don’t even talk to her, I have never done anything to her, and she just does this!” I yelled to Colby, 

“If you want, Kate is on our bus and her house is near yours. You can confront her if you want,” Colby asked me, 

“Yeah, that’s actually a pretty good idea, I’ll see you on the bus,” I said to Colby, 

“All right, I’ll talk to you later,” said Colby. 

We part ways, and I walk into my French class. Since I sit next to Colin Bradley, I know I will not get bombarded that much in this class. Although some people in the class believe Kate, the majority of the class are my friends so I feel secure. 

“Hey Colin, did you hear about the rat thing?” I asked Colin,

“Yeah I heard about it, I knew it was fake the moment I heard it,” said Colin.

Madame interrupts our conversation with a quiz. I completely forgot I had a quiz. I freeze and look at the paper. This wasn’t going to end well. 

Each of us walks out of the class. Everyone was talking about how easy the quiz was, but there I was, the only kid who didn’t do well. My eyes then light up when I realize I get to go on the bus. I bolt over at the speed of light to the bus and see Kate being her annoying self. I wanted to unleash my wrath on her, but I thought it would be a better idea if I tried to talk to her in a civilized way. 

“Hey Kate,” I said to her, 

She looks at me and is immediately disgusted.

“I just wanted to ask if you could take back what you said about the rat?” I asked her calmly, 

“Why would I take it back, you literally did it I have security footage in my yard!” Kate yells, 

I guess there is no more mister nice guy anymore.

“Where is the footage then, show me the footage and you can tell all of your stupid friends and I won’t give a damn!” I yelled at Kate, 

“Well, the footage is at my house, so I can show you guys tomorrow,” Kate said starting to become softer,

“Do it then, I will bet my soul and everything I own! You don’t have the footage, so just tell everyone I didn’t do anything!” I yelled,

“Alright you didn’t do anything, I tell everybody tomorrow,” Kate said in a soft voice,

“Thank you!” I said. 

I then sat down and enjoyed the bus ride with my friends. To add insult to injury, after she told everyone that it was fake, no one believed her, and she became even more irrelevant than she was before. The whole thing then blew over and I never talked to Kate ever again. I restored my reputation, and now looking back at it, this was a highlight of my eighth-grade year.