Cosplay | Teen Ink

Cosplay

February 2, 2020
By Anonymous

The first struck of daylight had hit directly onto my closed eyes and washed me in an overwhelming desire to flop the covers over my head. That is. . . not until I shut off the ringing alarm that uncoincidentally rung at the same time. My eyes slowly peeped halfway open as I saw the flashing lights appear on my phone’s screen. 6:00 am. Thursday. October 4, 2018. Usually, I’d let out a groan thinking ‘Oh, another day in school’ but, the sense of excitement rushed over me instead. 

It was officially the day New York Comic Con weekend starts. I remember it clear as day. I’ve been looking forward to this moment ever since during the summer one of my friends has contacted me saying she had gotten free tickets to do a panel and she choose me because I also share knowledge revolving around cosplaying. New York Comic-Con is definitely one of the biggest events held right in the smack of the popular site known as the Javits Center. The event buzzes frequently as popular actors, companies, and TV shows meet up to showcase planned new features for fans to be excited about. Many people come from all over and numbers just grow with 250,000 people being in attendance at that year’s event. 

 I costume, I do wigs, and putting them on has been my hobby so showing up to do a presentation in front of people in one of the busiest conventions in New York, its an honor. 

With that in mind, I had promised myself to wake up early to continue the costume I was going to wear that day and make sure it was going to run smoothly. Though also while this is happening, it was to ignore the cry that tightens in my chest. I was never great at speaking and hearing I might have to present alongside my friend seems like a wreck. 

It wasn’t long until I was finishing the final touches to my costume and taking the time to actually drape myself clothing I would usually never wear on a day to day bases. At the time period, I was wearing a bodysuit with gloves and bringing in a hand-built helmet I made to dress up like one of my favorite characters from this card game anime. 

The bodysuit was inspired to look like a motorcycling suit tailored in white so it was slightly transparent you can see all of what hides underneath. It was laced with garments over the sides of the suit and had a certain tight fit that still adjusted to the large curves along my hips.  Touched with an open propped collar, allowed my chest to be slightly revealing just for how open it was that the zipper to the suit had a hard time zipping all the way. Though it wasn’t purposely done as I didn’t place the white wifebeater underneath for that was too compressing to myself and I wanted to be comfortable as I was enjoying myself at the venue. To finish the complete set-up, I placed my high thigh boots that elevated my height and clipped on my personalized neckband. 

 I needed to rush to my friend’s house to meet up.

I remembered I did order a cab to their place, however since there was a numerous amount of traffic and it was taking long to pass by, I decided to get out early from the cab and walk the rest of the way considering it wasn’t too far off from when I got out. 

Being that the first week of October had started, the cold breezes enveloped the atmosphere making it a lust for myself to dive deeper into my winter coat. It could’ve been me but at the time, all types of eyes followed my moves whenever I passed by a random down the street. I didn’t seem to care or notice, thinking it was normal since I looked ‘un-normal’ with a bright blonde wig, fake ‘A’ earrings dangling at the sides of my face and dark shades to top it off as the rest of my suit was covered by the thick winter coat. I turned my head every once in a while to view the same people I passed by making eye contact towards me. I shouldn’t say me when their eyes landed on my lower half. 

Brushing off those feelings, I arrived at my friend, Andrea’s apartment and was let up into her room where a few of her other friends that she invited to do this presentation with was also there. It didn’t take long till I took off my coat and took a seat.

“So? What took you so long? I thought I said be here earlier because we need to go over the slides.” Andrea lead along with the conversation as I saw her scurry around her apartment to complete various tasks. 

“Sorry. I got caught up in traffic so I had to walk the rest of the way. ” 

“Walk? How are you doing that when you’re wearing that outfit?”

Andrea pointed at the bodysuit I was wearing, seeing that it wasn’t a preferable choice to wear and the harsh rustling of leaves being threatened to be carried by the wind’s wrath didn’t make it anymore noticeable.  

“It doesn’t bother me much. I only got out from the cab a couple of blocks from here.”

“Whatever you say, Alex. But don’t lie to me and say you weren’t baiting out sharks.”

Our conversation ended there and we soon made our way outside after finishing preparations at her house and the group made our way to the train where we would take it to get to the convention as well as our panel set up. 

The train ride seemed much different, although I didn’t speak too much on whatever the group was discussing. It all faded to be white noise to myself and I paid a little more attention to messaging my friends online to share how excited I was internally. Eyes were on us once again, I knew for sure because we hoped on the rush hour so many of the businessmen and women that were there had looked with us in either three ways. Their eyes bugged at first sight of us. Some eyes turned away and buried deep within the latest issue of the newspaper, or some didn’t look up at all. But my shoulders fell back and my posture slugged as I leaned against the train door.  It didn’t feel like it was all eyes preyed on me but on all of us. 

The stares when we have gotten on the train seemed to be more because we were a bunch of teens with weird out of the day costumes and ridiculous wigs trying to take the metro casually.  But eventually, it didn’t take that long to find other people going to the same place with the same way of wearing wacky costumes and wigs so it made me even more at ease and lessen the attention that was there from the existing stares of people. That was the most memorable part of it all really. It made it known that it didn’t matter too much of being vastly different than others. I absentmindedly let a smile crack onto my lips.

Upon arriving at the convention, we all noticed that we came early either way and not only it let us have the chance to explore the venue to ourselves but also set up our panel which Andrea offered to stay behind and do as we went separate ways to explore our interest.

 Convention Venue? Huge. Chattery. Crowded as well with the many people heading in and out. People were walking to other areas of the building to eat, see revealings of shows, or to buy artwork from different artists alike. But again, crowded. Every once and a while you’ll feel the slightest brush of fabric or flesh from someone else and it causes you to be an alarm to swing your head around.

 Chaotic. 

My curiosity had to lead me over to view the Resident Evil 2 remake exhibition booth, in which they let new people and fans alike play a demo of the shockingly scary zombie horror game. I couldn’t help my urges and desire to not miss this chance, taking it upon myself to stand in line for my turn to play. A few minutes pass and I feel a tap on my shoulder that caused my body to turn in that direction. In front of me, I’m greeted by a fan who recognized the character I was cosplaying as. 

“Y-You’re cosplaying Jack Atlas right?! Can I take a pic?” 

I could only respond with a headshake in agreement. 

A bright shining smile came from him. He gleamed with his anime merch and I couldn’t help but smile even more to comply with his requests. 

The guy patiently waited for myself to get ready and have myself positioned correctly so I can have the best look go out. It’s only for my sake because if I’m taking photos, I would only want myself to look perfect and presentable. 

Though it wasn’t long till I got ready and he snapped a couple of snaps of us at different angles. However, something wasn’t right. Nor could I put my finger on it. The energy was off as this dude had his arm thrown over my opposite shoulder. From the sudden move, my body was brushed against his side and a yelp escaped me.

My body naturally waved away and tried to shrink out of the other grasp. It was too close for me but his arm strength brought me only closer near him than I wanted. His hand managed to find its way near my slightly exposed chest and I felt heat rise to my cheeks in embarrassment. My body froze in place as my eyesight got blurred from the hot tears that formed. 

I was going to react but my body slowed on me and thankfully someone else was quicker and the person that had been waiting in line behind me jump in between me and the other stranger. 

“Hey, hey! Dude that’s fucking sick. The hell you think you’re doing putting your hands on her.” 

The stranger only spoke in denial and shock as he backed away, shrugging lightly. 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about. We were taking a photo and-”

“And fucking being creepy about it. I didn’t hear her say you can interact with her like that and I am standing right behind her.”

Heads turned at what seemed to be the source of the altercation. My mouth was shut. My hands were clasped around my chest, and my knees shook slightly. 

“Like I said we were taking a photo and she said yes-” 

“I don’t care whether you wanted a damn photo or not. That’s disgusting.”  

The person that had been defending me moved more in the way of me and the other stranger as a large barrier between us. He continued on and at that moment I felt the tension of his voice arise. 

“You got your picture. Bounce. Before I file a report on your ass.” 

With a threat like that, the stranger only took off with a scoff and I was there to process what had just happened before me. The dude that defended me before turned around to see how I was, asking various questions if I felt uncomfortable when the previous stranger was around and if I was fine. In a daze, I answered that I was fine but the air left me completely. My body was shaking noticeably and it only drove the adult to be concerned. Which led to him accompanying me on the walk back to where Andrea was for the panel. 

During the time he was explaining to Andrea what had happened and seeing an exchange of concerns wipe over both their faces, it lead me to hang my head. I was alright but in my head, I was so vulnerable and I couldn’t shake off the feeling. Not even afterward.