A Sense of Gratitude | Teen Ink

A Sense of Gratitude

By EmilioGarza BRONZE, Roundlake, Illinois
EmilioGarza BRONZE, Roundlake, Illinois

I was trudging to the front door of my family’s home after a long day at school when I noticed Zoey, our American Akita, looking at me through the window while wagging her tail excitedly. I knew what was coming; just like every other day, she was going to greet me with a wholesome growl and prancing. It was as though she was meeting me again after being separated for days, like I was somebody new to her. She then proceeded to follow me around and smell me up and down as I walked to my room; her big furry body leaning against mine. I didn’t care much for her show of affection at the time, as it happened almost every day I left the house and came back. For me, it got old after the first year of living with her. I didn’t realize, until that day and forward, the number of things and people close to me that I took for granted. Zoey was right their showing me how excited she was to see me and instead of giving back to her, I would ignore her for the most part. I wouldn’t want to wait a minute longer to get to my bed and relax. She was training me how to be thankful for the things I get to enjoy and people I see everyday. 

Many people don’t recognize and give thought to the vast amount of luxuries they are able to enjoy each day that may not be there tomorrow. Take a moment to be thankful for those that are around you and have played a part in making you the person you are. Sometimes, we are blind to those around us and are too self centered to realize the sacrifices they make and patience they have. These people aren’t going to always be there to help you, so you should give back to them and never allow overfamiliarity to stop you from caring. Don’t wait until they are no longer there, for you to see and be grateful for the impact they have made.

When I’m walking back home after being gone for a while, I always look for Zoey in the windows and get down to greet her when I open that door. She puts up with the things I do to her and is always well behaved with me, so why shouldn’t I be happy to see her. She’s taught me that no matter how repetitive some things are, they should never get too tiring or old to acknowledge.

Inspired by "A Sense of Wonder" by John Medina