My Bracelet, My Big Sister | Teen Ink

My Bracelet, My Big Sister

I was born an only child. From the ages of one to thirteen I did not have any siblings. Then in the eighth grade, I became a little sister. Some people might argue that we are not actually related, but my best friend is my big sister. We may not have grown up together like most sisters. We may not live together or be biologically related. The world might not see us as sisters, but Sarah is my best friend and big sister. My wonderful big sister who almost instantly made my life better by just being in it. 

Since we met, Sarah has always been there for me. She lifts me up when I fall, dries my tears, hugs me tight, and cheers me on as I get back up and try again. No matter what I am doing, she is always in my corner supporting me. She does all she can to make things right for me, even though it is not her job. Though I do not remember everything, all my memories with Sarah show how amazing and special she is. She is there for the hard times, the amazing times, and everything in between.

Though I did not know Sarah when I had to go through one of the hardest moments in my life, she has helped me with dealing with it. Sarah and I started to get close just over a year after my dad died. She has listened to me complain about him not being there and complain about the things that I do not get to do with him. Sarah was there at one of the hardest times, which was my dance recital in 2017. Since it was Father’s Day, the recital opened with a father-daughter dance to the song Cinderella by Steven Curtis Chapman.

The cool black wall was holding me up as I leaned against it. I tried to lean back more and make the weight leave my shoulders, but it felt as if I was the one holding the wall up and I felt unable to move. Though the lights were all turned off backstage, the luminescent glow from the stage traveled back and lit up everyone and everything that was around me. The young girls around me giggled to each other and enthusiastically watched the dance on stage. Everywhere I turned someone was there, but somehow I still felt alone. I peeled my head from the wall and turned it slowly to the left, catching glimpses of the dancers on the stage with their dads. The deafening music rang in my head as I closed my eyes and laid back against the cold, dark wall. The tears slowly started to stream down my face as I continued to feel abandoned in the congested area until I felt Sarah wrapping me into the tightest hug. 

Sarah got me through that dance recital. She calmed me down, helped me clean up my makeup, and cheered me on for the rest of the night. We have grown much closer over the past few years but when we first met, dance was the sole thing that connected us. She had taken classes at my studio when she was younger and was now teaching at my studio. Whenever I went to dance, Sarah was there. I wanted to be just like Sarah, especially in the way she danced. So, when I would go home I would pull out my old dance DVDs and watch her. I would learn all of her dances and practice them, making sure that I looked just like her. The most important out of all of her dances that I learned was her senior year solo.

I would sit attentively as my eyes were glued to the television, watching the slowly moving ballerina on the screen. As she started to move, I rose to my feet mimcing her actions. As her beautiful pink tulle dress twirled around her, I imagined myself in a matching one. Pointing my toes until they cramped, holding positions until my muscles started to shake, I continued to follow her lead. As she ends with a small curtsy and then closes in fifth position, she smiles up at me. Even though I knew she could not see me, I was beaming back at her. I radiated happiness as I started the dance over and continued to practice my big sister’s solo. I felt the joy bubbling inside me as I turned to watch myself dancing in the mirror and saw how much like her I truly am.

As we continued to get closer, I saw how much more I wanted to be like her. I saw that I wanted to be just like her personality-wise too, not just the way she danced. I started to look up to her and she became one of the biggest role models in my life. Because I wanted to be just like her, I decided that we needed to have some things to match each other. So that’s when I started to look for the perfect set of bracelets.

On July 10, 2018, Sarah came over to my house and I pulled her downstairs so that I could give her a present I had gotten her. I handed her a small envelope that held the two bracelets and a small message inside. The small paper read, “While we may not share the same blood, we will always be connected by the heart. You are the sister that I choose. Thank you for being a part of my life!” The paper held two pink bracelets that each held a small arrow charm. The delicate string bracelets were in sparkling and pristine shape. They were beautiful and we both were beaming as we put them on.

The bracelet she handed to me that day rarely ever comes off my wrist. The pink has faded and started to turn to brown. The silver arrow is no longer shiny, it is dull and has started to rub off. The ends and the knot that attaches the charm have started to fray. I tighten it as much as possible, but it slowly starts to loosen as I wear it. The spots, frays, and dullness show how just like Sarah, the bracelet is there for me through everything. It has been worn down through the years but it still holds the same value. 

The reminder of my big sister constantly stays on my wrist. It stays there so I can fidget with it when I am anxious. So I can hold the charm when things go wrong. It wraps around my wrist so I can smile at it when something good happens. It stays there so I remember to work my hardest to make her proud. It hugs my wrist to remind me that she cares about me. It sits there to remind me I can always talk to her. It stays there to remind me that I have my big sister on my side. It stays there as a reminder that Sarah is always there even when I can not see her.

Sarah is a person who can smile at you and instantly make your day, she radiates positivity. It does not matter what she is going through, she is always there to make someone smile when they are having a bad day. She listens to anything you have to say and always tries to help make things better. She is my inspiring big sister who I know I will always need in my life. Even though she does not believe it, I always say that Sarah is someone that everyone should strive to be like. Her caring attitude, huge smile, and magic hugs make her an amazing person to have in life. She is a human embodiment of sunshine, radiating happiness, light, and positivity, even on the darkest days.

All little sisters dream of growing up to be just like their big sister, and I am no different. When I grow up, I want to be just like my big sister. I wish to become an older sister just like her and to grow into an amazing, kind-hearted, positive person just like she is. I hope everything about her will rub off on me so I can be as wonderful as she is. I want to grow up to be just like her in all aspects of my life. I want to grow up to be exactly like my big sister who I carry with me on my wrist every day.