homecoming heartbreaker | Teen Ink

homecoming heartbreaker

March 12, 2019
By jeromeperkins BRONZE, Farmington, New Hampshire
jeromeperkins BRONZE, Farmington, New Hampshire
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

There's no place like the football field, the fans cheering on the bleachers, the hot air blasting on your skin, the perfect white lines that stretch all the way down the field drawn in for the game, and of course the warm brown pigskin. Bam! We walk into the locker room pumped as we played Mo Bamba, we knew our coach didn't like music like that but that's what got us ready for games. We got our uniforms on and got ready to leave. I'm usually always last cause its a three-man-job getting my pads on me. Clank-Clank-Clank, the sound of our cleats on the hot black pavement. As we were walking down the stairs all of the Mascoma fans were yelling really loud, I knew it was going to be an intense game, it was their homecoming game so the bleachers were packed.


We got done warming up and headed over to our sides. The sun was blasting on our black helmets making it feel like it was a hundred degrees. We lost the coin toss so we kicked it off first. Our defense played great and force them to punt, it was my turn now. We ran the ball a couple of times with our absolute unit Paul Roy. Boom, Paul trucks a kid laying him on his ass. Twelve yard gain. I go over to my coach to get the play. Tiger rollout pass left, my favorite play. I lineup behind the center, there's one safety. READY, SET, GO! He snaps me the ball, I fake the handoff and run towards my left, Jake Mcisaac's our tight end is running a post route. Woosh, I whipped the ball down the field to him. TOUCHDOWN.!!!! We were up 7-0. We would end up scoring again on our next drive doing the same thing a touchdown pass to McIsaac.

We kept it close all up until the fourth quarter. They were up by one touchdown. Usually, our head would be down but we stayed in the game and went back on offense. With five minutes left I knew this could be our last drive. We were down by eight points. I snapped the ball, there's a hole so big you could drive a truck through it. I take off, spin off one kid, truck another. 15 yard gain. Next play, we give it to Paul. 13-yard gain. Three minutes left coach calls fake screen go pass. Time feels like it's in slow motion as I call the huddle. The play couldn’t have gone any better, I snap the ball and look at Jake, the pump fake makes the defender think its a screen he bites in, Jake explodes past him, I throw the perfect pass, Touchdown number three.

Our fans go crazy knowing we're still in the game. We're going for the tie. I lineup under the center, Silence snap, I take off into the endzone, tie game. I take off my helmet yelling “ You like that”, running toward my coach. One of my coaches was dancing the other ones were jumping up and down. I dab up my teammates and go get a drink of water. They got the ball back with a minute left but our defense stop them and we went into overtime.

They got the ball first in overtime and got lined up at the ten-yard line. We stopped them the first three plays but they would end up scoring on the fourth play. We got a chance to tie it up but we were unsuccessful. We would end up losing 20-26, but my teammates showed our coaches and our fans that we could fight with anyone. We didn’t give up and we almost came home with the dub. I was very proud of my team and was ready for our next game.  It was one of the most fun games and one of the craziest intense games of my life. It's a game I'll always remember.


The author's comments:

its good