My Name | Teen Ink

My Name

By SBIL2020 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
SBIL2020 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Brooke, another name for a stream. It is a gold color. It means friendly. Some would even say its pretty. It is like a glittery smooth texture. Almost like the sun shining on ice above the stream. It’s like hitting a homerun. Brookes’ should always be number 1. Top of the order. First in line

My dad had all the power in choosing my name. He wanted Amanda, But my mom knew it would soon become Mandy. She would not allow that. My first name came from Brooke Burke. My middle name came from Tiffani Amber Thiessen. Both models. Did he want me to grow up with the models names for the beauty, for the fame, or is that how all men think?

My name is not just Brooke, It is also B, but never Brooklynn. Brooke is more like the calm ocean on a quiet morning , while B is more like high tide crashing on the rocks. People assume my name is bigger than it is. It’s not Brooklynn, just Brooke, or B.

It’s not a coincidence that my initials spell bag (Brooke Amber Gorman). It’s a bold statement. I couldn’t just be Brooke, I had to be Brooke Amber Gorman. It is Bright like the sun. Bold letters. My dad’s booming voice on the softball field compares. Gorman’s always seem to be larger than life.

It’s not a hard name to say. It comes out in one syllable like our natural response to say “I love you too”. It’s almost too easy. No one ever fumbles or dawdles.

I like my name. It’s no typical name like Alex or Sam. Those are common names that suit anyone. But No, I am Brooke. One of maybe three at this school. Although, I wouldn’t mind a change. To a name that fits me even greater. A name that exemplifies that larger than life character Gorman’s are known for. A name everyone will remember.