My Name | Teen Ink

My Name

By grapestephie BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
grapestephie BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Stephanie means “crown” in Greek. A colossal, gleaming crown. I guess that fits me because my parents do call me a princess. It is originally a French name. Spanish and English cultures now widely use it. I did not think it was that common. Not abnormal, but just not popular.

I inherited Stephanie from my great-grandmother, a poised woman, whom I was really close to. She was a tidy and organized, someone who would never would fret about any obstacle in her way. I know of about four people who actually call me Stephanie, though.

Steph is what I am most commonly referred to as. I think it sounds harsh and manly, but others seem to prefer it, which I do not mind. I do like how I can be called multiple names. Maybe it’s just Wisconsin that pronounces it right. Those from Texas say “staff”. That makes it sound even more manly. People from the east coast execute the “e” in Steph to sound like an “a”. It reminds me of watching shows from New Jersey. I would always mock the voices.

When on vacation, it is fun to hear the different ways my name can be put together. I thought my name was so simple, but to others it seems so complex. My family goes on lots of vacations. Our go-to is cruises. Many people from all around the world come together on one boat. Like a combination of cultures. All pronouncing a simple name differently. All seeing the beautiful blue waves. I, and others, see my name as those beautiful blue waves. Calm and relaxing.

My name is a bright bouquet of flowers. Coincidentally, I have a strong love for vivid, regal flowers. You can always find some type of flower sitting on my windowsill. Flowers you find from all over the place, including those native to other countries. Light-hearted and simple. Flowers, but also me.

Sometimes I do wish for a new name, but this one fits me. Calm and relaxing. Like cobalt blue ocean waves meeting the lavender sunset. Pleasing to view at when written smoothly in cursive. My parents picked a good one for me. Passed down from my great-grandmother, so I can always have a piece of her with me.